Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
82 Posts
After noticing an oil leak I traced it down to the bottom of the oil filter housing.

The seal under the housing is meant as an oil pressure relief and this one apparently hardened and failed.

Here is what a new assembly looks like and you can get it with the oil cooler as one unit.

Notice that this one doesn't have the rubber seal but rather two tors style plugs.

Okay, first thing, remove engine covers

Remove the fan shroud

Loosen and remove the belt and the belt tensioner so that you have full access to the bolts holding the oil filter housing.

Also, remove the pulley under the water thermostat housing.
Remove the water thermostat housing (2 8mm torx) then remove the filter housing (6 10mm torx)

Time for a clean up then reassembly:bannana:

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Should this be made sticky? Maybe clarify title to include R171 SLK 350?

Reactions: Mensra

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Notice how the water thermostat is still stuck on the engine side. It actually came apart when I pulled on the housing.
Today I got a new thermostat and it comes with the housing, sensor and seal.
I can't wait for tomorrow morning to clean the engine bay and install the new parts. I will also flush the coolant system, I got the MB coolant concentrate :)
I will be flushing with water and citric acid at first then put coolant. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't understand why you can you just replace the gaskets. Mine 2001 CL 55 oil filter housing leaked at the bottom. I were able just replaced the o-ring gasket and solved the issue. When you buy parts from the dealer, then usually just want to sell you the whole housing. Next times, try get your part online at www.parts.com.

·
Banned
996 Posts
I don't understand why you can you just replace the gaskets. Mine 2001 CL 55 oil filter housing leaked at the bottom. I were able just replaced the o-ring gasket and solved the issue. When you buy parts from the dealer, then usually just want to sell you the whole housing. Next times, try get your part online at www.parts.com.

It looks like they have modified the part - perhaps in response to repeated failures. I expect Drew takes the view that for $100 and all his time and effort, it's worth fitting the 'upgrade'.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Initially that's what I tried to do but I couldn't find the gasket. When I asked the dealer about the gasket, they brought in a tech to look at it so that we are on the same wavelength and he confirmed that the whole housing has been upgraded and they no longer try to replace just the gasket.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Initially that's what I tried to do but I couldn't find the gasket. When I asked the dealer about the gasket, they brought in a tech to look at it so that we are on the same wavelength and he confirmed that the whole housing has been upgraded and they no longer try to replace just the gasket.

Yeah, dealer always try to sell you the whole unit instead. That's the reason why I now only get all my part from parts.com and it much much cheaper then the dealer. Words of advise, always give them your car VIN# when order parts. I just check parts.com yesterday and they have drawing that show all the gasket for that whole unit.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, dealer always try to sell you the whole unit instead. That's the reason why I now only get all my part from parts.com and it much much cheaper then the dealer. Words of advise, always give them your car VIN# when order parts. I just check parts.com yesterday and they have drawing that show all the gasket for that whole unit.
I checked there before and I couldn't find it. Do you have a direct link?
It's the tech that told me the whole unit gets replaced; maybe that's their service policy whenever they encounter this problem and he's going by what he knows.
The parts guy couldn't find the seal in question in his database. That's why we got a tech involved to figure out what I needed. Good thing is that either way this gave me an opportunity to get intimate with the front of the engine since I just got this car in August. Cleaning with a toothbrush is a nice way to learn about the nooks and crannies of the engine exterior. I also got a chance to replace the thermostat, remove and inspect pulleys, belt ...etc.
It's all good!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now, here are some pics of the cleaning process and it's not over, I want the engine nice and shining. I am ready to brew some chemicals for a better cleaning than this

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After all that work, you'll need a break! I suggest a long-weekend in London. Bring a SmartTop module in your pocket...:)
I would love to but I got tons of papers to grade :deal
the 190E to be stripped, sanded and get her ready for paint
the SLK bumper repair and repaint
put up the Christmas tree...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.