Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Um, I'm going to sound like a weed here, but...

is there a secret to removing the oil filler cap (1997 SLK 230K R170)

I suffer from arthritis and my grip is not what it was, but even so, mine won't budge!

do you press down and turn, perhaps, or is it just simply turn and off?

any suggestions as to how to free a stuck one!?

:)td: - failed at first hurdle!)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used to work at an oil change and lube shop. I'm not a very big guy, of average build, so there would be times that I would come across an oil cap that was tightened too much. I would grab an oversized pair of pliers, put a rag over the cap as to not scratch it, gently grip the cap, then turn. normally the pliers would be able to do the trick, and everything would be good

·
Registered
161 Posts
The MB oil caps are very tight. I have found that it is easier for me to remove the air filter/engine cover.. You need to push straight down and twist. For some reason, could be my RA as well, I find that I cannot get the right angle to push down and not hit the engine cover, thus, I remove it and then have no problems getting it off.

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, actually I just bought one of those, but that's for the oil filter

I'm talkin' about the filler cap, on top of engine

I haven't got a device that's wide enough to help with this

maybe I could invent one, and make lots of money selling it (don't tell anyone!)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I find wearing a glove to remove tight lids/caps increases my strength to superhuman levels.
IronMan gloves? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the oil filler cap on the top of the rocker cover / top of engine screw off anti clockwise ? Mine is on so tight I can't move it to get it off. Please help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes........ it sure does screws off anticlockwise.....no need to push down on it just use a a rag and an adjustable wrench if tight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.