Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently purchased a 06 SLK280. I am going to do my first oil change soon. I am trying to source the oil drain plug gasket/washer/crush ring. As I understand it many of you suggest going to a Mercedes dealer to get the proper ring.

a) Does anyone have a link for a proper ring that can be used in supplement to the Mercedes dealer ring?
b) or if you have a link/part number to an OEM crush ring? Is there a place I can get them online?

c) Also, have any of you used plastic ring/washers instead of the copper ones. I have always found they provide a better seal.

Any suggestions comments etc are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
542 Posts
Use the copper ones, and get them from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. 3 dollars buys you 3 of them.

13mm I think. Maybe it's 14mm, I can never remember.

I never liked the nylon ones. Always seemed too flimsy

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
All of the online parts houses offer the sealing ring for about 20 cents. Most of them offer free shipping over $50, so buy a handful of them with your next order.

Len

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
All of the online parts houses offer the sealing ring for about 20 cents. Most of them offer free shipping over $50, so buy a handful of them with your next order.

Len
My dealer sells 'em for a buck, and gives me a cup of coffee as well. ;-)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you going to drain from the pan vs siphon? Or is it already leaking?
Its funny you said that. Actually I bought the car and after doing an inspection (once back in Canada, as I imported it from the States) I realised it had a slow leak. I was worried and took it to my mechanic. He said it was as if the washer used was improper or was reused when it shouldn't have been. Its a slow leak, but still a leak. So now that the car is registered and plated, I am looking to replace the front pads and do a full oil change.

I'm thinking about using AMSOIL or Mobil1, a MANN filter or Hengst filter, the crush ring (washer/gasket) from Mercedes (for $1.50 Canadian - what a rip off :p) and getting Akebono front brake pads as they have worn down.

I am travelling to the US in a week (Easter weekend) and I plan to send all of this to my relatives. I still haven't found a site that sells the oil online so I cant send it to their house.

I know this is changing the theme of the thread slightly, but any recommendations on oil? and where can I get it online in the US for cheap?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
I think you'll find most here are using Mobil 1 (5 or 0W40). I assume you're flying back and forth...or you'd carry it back yourself. I think you'll have issues "shipping" oil. What about a day trip to Buffalo?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
As Der Flieger has said. I would recomend Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula. Around here it is available at WalMart for $6.50/qt. I have also seen on this forum where Pep Boys has it as well. I also looked on line and it was always cheaper locally. There is a 5W-40 Formula M (Not ESP) as well. The key is that it meets M-B Spec 229.5 (Mercedes-Benz Approved Oil Specifications) You should have an M272 engine, same as mine.

I have seen the crush washers on eBay, and the oil filters as well. I usually get them both at the dealer for less than $20. I use the Mann HU718/5x, and eBay has the filters at $10-$12 or so.

My dealer's parts department has been great at matching prices I have found elsewhere, so I usually give them the first chance at a part.

·
Registered
542 Posts
As Der Flieger has said. I would recomend Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula. Around here it is available at WalMart for $6.50/qt. I have also seen on this forum where Pep Boys has it as well. I also looked on line and it was always cheaper locally. There is a 5W-40 Formula M (Not ESP) as well. The key is that it meets M-B Spec 229.5 (Mercedes-Benz Approved Oil Specifications) You should have an M272 engine, same as mine.

I have seen the crush washers on eBay, and the oil filters as well. I usually get them both at the dealer for less than $20. I use the Mann HU718/5x, and eBay has the filters at $10-$12 or so.

My dealer's parts department has been great at matching prices I have found elsewhere, so I usually give them the first chance at a part.
Count yourself lucky that you live in Chattanooga.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the awesome responses.

So far I ended up buying the washer at a Mercedes dealership in TO for 1.50 CAN and the official wear sensor (just in case I need it) for 14.50 CAN.

I will be purchasing the front pads, oil filter remover, filter itself (MANN) off amazon. Still on the look out for oil though ... 6.50 a quart is amazing, I wonder if It can be had for that price online somewhere?

@Der Flieger: I will actually be driving over to the states so no problem bringing things back ...

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
As opposed to Red Bank or Soddy Daisy? ;-)

The vast and varied depth on knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me ! :tu:

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,413 Posts
The Akebono front brake pads i got for my 07 350 came with wear sensor as part of the pad kit. Check out Napa Auto Parts when in USA for the Akebono front pad kit for around $100 US if you have the Sport Package.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I'm wanting to do an oil change on my 55 AMG. Can anyone tell me what the exact size of the "Copper Crush Washer's" are for the R171 55 AMG sump pan? There are 2 by the way, and I can get 10 for about 2.99 on fleabay if I have the size? Many thanks...

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
68 Posts
It's a 14mm. (1.50 thread plug)
Available at your local Carquest or Advance auto parts store in US low as .79

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.