Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to find out what the oil level should read using a dipstick. I bought a dipstick from eBay just to double check the sensors and just in case they fail. I can’t seem to find it anywhere. All I find is how to read it from the dash. Thanks…

·
Super Moderator
10,998 Posts
Generally at the bottom of the stick (about 2-3" up) there is a cross-hatched area. Holding the handle, wipe the bottom third of the stick with a paper towel at the bottom end. Then, re insert the stick and withdraw again. Engine should be warmed up but not running when doing this.

Oil should be inside that cross hatch area. If it's below, down a litre (or so). Above, TOO MUCH oil and some needs to be pulled out.

If below, I would only add 1/2 litre and then wipe again and re-check.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,804 Posts
Is the oil stick you purchased from ebay the special one as indicated below?

From rxjr22: @rxjr22

Save Time and your Sanity. Buy a engine Oil Dipstick motor tool level for mercedes benz (MB Tool #120 589 07 21 00) also known as a MB technician oil dipstick.

In case you haven't seen one of these or read how they work, it is called a 'workshop dipstick', and is very different form normal conventional dipsticks. Several Mercedes models from 2001-2009 did not come with engine or transmission dipsticks from the factory. This tool is what they supply for purchase and is used in all of those models, so it is universal and can NOT REMAIN in the vehicle. It has measured markings all along the stick very similar to a ruler, and you insert the dipstick down in the tube (it can be very tight, due to multiple bends in the dipstick tube) until it stops/bottoms at the oil pan, and there is typically 4-8 inches still sticking out the top of the tube. You then remove the dipstick and compare the reading to a chart that we provide that shows what is the high/low readings for every model this dipstick applies to. It's honestly not the easiest or simplest way to check the oil in your engine, but unfortunately, this is what Mercedes has designed for us and is the only way to check the oil level other than using the factory computer which costs thousands of dollars. This also allows you to see the quality or cleanliness of your cars oil. Works like a regular oil dipstick. Be sure to remove from your car after measurements are done.

From Phil1987uk:

161 mm = minus 0,5l

167-169 mm = oil level correct

175 mm = plus 0,5l

So basically it's not like a normal dipstick made for the car, it can be used on many. I need the correct measurements, on that thread it says 142mm? On this one it says 167mm-169mm.

This attached pdf should help

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply that’s what I needed. The dipstick I got from eBay is a generic one with measurements from tip to handle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
jbanks’ pdf oil table, and my SLK500 Chinese dipstick!

Is the oil stick you purchased from ebay the special one as indicated below?

From rxjr22: @rxjr22

Save Time and your Sanity. Buy a engine Oil Dipstick motor tool level for mercedes benz (MB Tool #120 589 07 21 00) also known as a MB technician oil dipstick.

In case you haven't seen one of these or read how they work, it is called a 'workshop dipstick', and is very different form normal conventional dipsticks. Several Mercedes models from 2001-2009 did not come with engine or transmission dipsticks from the factory. This tool is what they supply for purchase and is used in all of those models, so it is universal and can NOT REMAIN in the vehicle. It has measured markings all along the stick very similar to a ruler, and you insert the dipstick down in the tube (it can be very tight, due to multiple bends in the dipstick tube) until it stops/bottoms at the oil pan, and there is typically 4-8 inches still sticking out the top of the tube. You then remove the dipstick and compare the reading to a chart that we provide that shows what is the high/low readings for every model this dipstick applies to. It's honestly not the easiest or simplest way to check the oil in your engine, but unfortunately, this is what Mercedes has designed for us and is the only way to check the oil level other than using the factory computer which costs thousands of dollars. This also allows you to see the quality or cleanliness of your cars oil. Works like a regular oil dipstick. Be sure to remove from your car after measurements are done.

From Phil1987uk:

161 mm = minus 0,5l

167-169 mm = oil level correct

175 mm = plus 0,5l

So basically it's not like a normal dipstick made for the car, it can be used on many. I need the correct measurements, on that thread it says 142mm? On this one it says 167mm-169mm.

This attached pdf should help
Here are pix of my Genuine approximately 33-inch long Chinese dipstick for the SLK55 (5.5 liter 4-cam V-8) AMG. This and jbanks’ .pdf oil level table (attached to his post above) will soothe away your oil level worries...IF the Chinese marked the centimeter scale in the right places. Note the helpful plastic standoffs and the bottom plastic tip, to help the spring steel dipstick smoothly navigate the AMG55’s tortuous innards, and actually come out again, I hope!

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Chinese dipstick works, and disagrees with digital readout

The 33”-long dipstick I got from China:

A. Is easy to slide down the gullet and convoluted gizzards of the AMG 5.5L V-8 engine, and makes an unmistakable “dead stop” when it reaches the sump bottom, and

B. Measuring with that dipstick indicates a measurement of 138mm, smack dab in the middle of the minimum 128mm/maximum 148mm as shown on the .pdf supplied by Jeff Banks. I had my indy check it, and he came up with same measurement I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried a dip stick and it was hard to read and insert. I bought a Icar soft code reader and it is very useful! If you scroll far enough it tells me how many millimeters I have in the oil pan (61 mm) seems to be right. It does drop slightly between oil changes and it seems to give an occasional puff of blue on coldstarts if I have more than 64mm in it. Less than $200 if I remember right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts