1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,302 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Stopped by the wash tub and had them hand wash the car. I just couldn't take it anymore. They cleaned an already clean interior for me lol.

·
98,302 Posts
Jeff, did not know Love Bugs eat the Paint......
If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become dried and extremely difficult to remove. Their body chemistry has a nearly neutral 6.5 pH but may become acidic at 4.25 pH if left on the car for a day.[2] In the past, the acidity of the dead adult body, especially the female's egg masses, often resulted in pits and etches in automotive paint and chrome if not quickly removed.[6] However, advances in automotive paints and protective coatings have reduced this threat significantly. Now the greatest concern is excessive clogging of vehicle radiator air passages with the bodies of the adults, with the reduction of the cooling effect on engines, and the obstruction of windshields when the remains of the adults and egg masses are smeared on the glass.[2]

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become dried and extremely difficult to remove. Their body chemistry has a nearly neutral 6.5 pH but may become acidic at 4.25 pH if left on the car for a day.[2] In the past, the acidity of the dead adult body, especially the female's egg masses, often resulted in pits and etches in automotive paint and chrome if not quickly removed.[6] However, advances in automotive paints and protective coatings have reduced this threat significantly. Now the greatest concern is excessive clogging of vehicle radiator air passages with the bodies of the adults, with the reduction of the cooling effect on engines, and the obstruction of windshields when the remains of the adults and egg masses are smeared on the glass.[2]
OK....that's just freakin amazin'...you aint gonna learn this on Wikipedia kids!!!!:hail:

·
Registered
628 Posts
OK....that's just freakin amazin'...you aint gonna learn this on Wikipedia kids!!!!:hail:
I'm so glad I live out here in CA where the insect life is relatively minimal.

Florida is simply no place I'd want to live in the first place due to the heat and humidity. Now "Love Bugs" - Yuck!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55
415 Posts
Boy I DO NOT MISS the love bugs. In 1975 I was driving down the east coast from the port of entry for my 1973 Corvette L82 which I had bought and shipped to England. I was driving with my new English wife, headed to my new assignment at Eglin AFB in Ft. Walton Beach. Somewhere at the Florida we ran into this mass of bugs. I couldn’t believe the number of them and the mess they left behind. Fortunately I washed them off as soon as we arrived at Eglin, but my new wife was now questioning her view of what living in the U.S. was going to be like. :)

·
98,302 Posts
they are only here 2 weeks in may and 2 weeks in september usually between 10 am and 3 pm when i am fortunately at work

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I have to clean all the bugs off mine before next Saturday. Cant be turning up at the sheep hunt with a dirty car :))

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I have to clean all the bugs off mine before next Saturday. Cant be turning up at the sheep hunt with a dirty car :))
I'll be dashing down from the west coast of Scotland, so mine will be pretty filthy.

·
98,302 Posts
car wash exploded?

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
I'm so glad I live out here in CA where the insect life is relatively minimal.

Florida is simply no place I'd want to live in the first place due to the heat and humidity. Now "Love Bugs" - Yuck!
I'm with Godrey. Heck, I didn't even know what a LOVE BUG looked like. So for all you Californians:

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.