Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So, I had my wheels refurbished, to get rid of some kerbing marks... and ever since I did this I have a wobble....

I've had the wheels balanced 4 times at 4 different garages, most recently today at a mercedes dealership... and they all balanced them saying they were between 10 - 30g's out... (don't get me started on how all of these machines seem to read different, when they should all be calibrated!).

Anyway, nothing is working, I still get this strange shimmy, not really through the steering, more through my seat.... and more bizarrely, it seems to be in waves, in that you feel it for 3 seconds then it disappears for 1 second, then back for 3 then gone for 1 etc... most bizzare

Anyway the latest story, (from the guy at the merc garage), is that my wheel is 'out of round' on the front drivers side.... I've had the suspension checked twice at 2 different garages (just in case), all reported fine.

So I've had enough of this and need a new set of alloys (finally to the question the thread is titled as)

So a single AMG alloy from various locations is about £500... so a set will be about £2000..

An aftermarket Alloy that 'looks' like an AMG rim, I can get a set of 4 for anything from £450 - £1000... so the fact that I get get a set for the price of a single rim from Mercedes begs the question, what's the difference?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,070 Posts
Hi All,

So, I had my wheels refurbished, to get rid of some kerbing marks... and ever since I did this I have a wobble....

I've had the wheels balanced 4 times at 4 different garages, most recently today at a mercedes dealership... and they all balanced them saying they were between 10 - 30g's out... (don't get me started on how all of these machines seem to read different, when they should all be calibrated!).

Anyway, nothing is working, I still get this strange shimmy, not really through the steering, more through my seat.... and more bizarrely, it seems to be in waves, in that you feel it for 3 seconds then it disappears for 1 second, then back for 3 then gone for 1 etc... most bizzar

Anyway the latest story, (from the guy at the merc garage), is that my wheel is 'out of round' on the front drivers side.... I've had the suspension checked twice at 2 different garages (just in case), all reported fine.

So I've had enough of this and need a new set of alloys (finally to the question the thread is titled as)

So a single AMG alloy from various locations is about £500... so a set will be about £2000..

An aftermarket Alloy that 'looks' like an AMG rim, I can get a set of 4 for anything from £450 - £1000... so the fact that I get get a set for the price of a single rim from Mercedes begs the question, what's the difference?
They wont be called AMG for a start if its on the rim more like AME as such .
Quality wont be the same .
And possible if you put one on only it may put the alignment out .

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,070 Posts
If the one wheel is out refit to the rear of car and see if the shimmy / strange sensations moves to the rear .
If so its to do with wheel and not your car of sorts .
And yes i know the wheel / tyre is different size but its just temp to see . :grin:

Or borrow some spare alloys :wink:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the one wheel is out refit to the rear of car and see if the shimmy / strange sensations moves to the rear .
If so its to do with wheel and not your car of sorts .
And yes i know the wheel / tyre is different size but its just temp to see . :grin:

Or borrow some spare alloys :wink:
I was hoping the merc garage today, would have fit a 'spare' set of alloys, to see if the 'shimmy' disappeared so I could categorically say that buying a new set of alloys would work... but alas, even though I suggested it, they didn't...

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,455 Posts
Buy them in Germany.
This German MB dealer AMG Styling V / 5 light-alloy wheel Mercedes-Benz SLK R171 deliver a AMG V 18"inch rim for 496 euro which is some £350 or £1400 for a set. There will be shipping costs but there are not too high, I guess something like 50 euro. Still a lot of money but you'll be saving some £600 and have the real thing. :smile:
BTW I'm in no way affiliated with these guys...........

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,070 Posts
Or ebay
As theres many single genuine alloys out there .
Look for a new one with or one no damage as such . :grin:

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,070 Posts
I was hoping the merc garage today, would have fit a 'spare' set of alloys, to see if the 'shimmy' disappeared so I could categorically say that buying a new set of alloys would work... but alas, even though I suggested it, they didn't...

You only need two as such
Get the direction of tyre rotation correct and away you go .

You should easily see a buckled alloy wheel even left on the vehicle .
With a keen eye . :grin:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts
When I recently went to replace my wheel I found this article to be helpful in understanding the difference.

OEM Vs. Aftermarket Wheels - What You Need to Know

It compares the benefits and disadvantages of each type of wheel.
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Usually, if you get that kind of vibration happening in waves, it means that at least two wheel/tire assemblies are out of balance. The 'wave' indicates when they're going in and out of phase with each other as they roll.

I always prefer the manufacturer's wheels, personally, particularly for high-end brands like Mercedes-Benz.

I had a similar situation when I fitted a set of refurbished AMG wheels to my car. At surface street and local expressway speeds (up to 60mph) they felt fine, but at speeds on the highway (65 to 80 mph) a serious vibration appeared and disappeared in waves.

I immediately thought it might be one or two of the wheels out of true, but an out of true wheel ultimately won't balance on a 'rolling road' type of dynamic tire balancer. I brought it back into the tire shop for a thorough recheck.

They found that two of the wheel assemblies were 25g or more out of balance ... way more than an acceptable amount. They also unmounted and remounted one of the tires as it seemed either the tire was either mounted incorrectly or malformed, it had a small bump in it when spun. It seems to have been the former because after they did that and rebalanced all wheels and tires, the vibration disappeared.

It was sloppy work on the part of a former employee, who had already been let go. "Too many returns when he was running the tire balancing machine. He wouldn't pay attention..."

I hope your problem is solved to your satisfaction soon.

BTW, for those in the USA: I bought my 17" AMG rims from Auto Rim Shop (home). They're the correct sizing and offsets from the SLK280/350 Sport kit for 2006 to 2009. The refurbishment was done beautifully, they look brand new and run perfectly true.

G

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,770 Posts
When I recently went to replace my wheel I found this article to be helpful in understanding the difference.

OEM Vs. Aftermarket Wheels - What You Need to Know

It compares the benefits and disadvantages of each type of wheel.
Thanks for the reply.

Thank you for joining SLKworld.

The forum is a friendly site so please join in.

All models of the SLK/C are welcome.
Even if you are searching for your next car and do not yet own an SLK you are welcome to join in.
The information people offer when you want to know what to look for can be a big help
in getting the right car.

If English is not your first language we will try to help.

It helps the site to grow when you post an introduction
and shows appreciation for the very good information and help our posters give.

Your first thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

then free gift!

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-request-datacard-free-us.html

Plus, you can then enter our FREE competition to win goodies:
http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/394345-november-2016-slkworld-com-ride-month-sponsored-windrestrictor.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.