Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pondering speaker upgrades for Silkie and I have my heart and ears set on some Morel Tempo Ultra speakers. However, they come with a 28mm (1.10”) tweeter and I'm slightly concerned that this won't fit in the original position in the door panel.

I've tried searching - and researching - but while everyone gives the sizes of the larger speaker, there is hardly any information on the stock tweeter. So. My two questions tonight are:

Does anyone know what the diameter and depth of the OEM tweeter for a 2002 R170 is?
Does anyone have one lying about they could measure for me?

Thanks in advance.

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim. From that link:
The factory tweeters were a 3/4" type so I had to get creative with a hot melt glue gun to mount the 1" tweeters.
So in 'standard' measurements the stock tweeter is a 20mm type and anything larger will need some creative engineering to get them to fit. I'm loathe to cut the panel and I am not sure mounting larger tweeters at the rear of what would become a short tunnel is good for a decent sound, so I may look more closely at some alternatives.

Reactions: WoZ53

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the newer SLKs the tweeter is mounted on the sail panel / mirror triangle. Maybe it's worth getting two of these from a breakers yard and attaching the new tweeters to these. It should improve the sound and means I can fit any tweeter I want!!

It's Item 20 on the attached.

SLK Door Panelling.jpg

# Part number Designation/description
20 A1707250111 PLATE - MIRROR TRIANGLE INSIDE LEFT
20 A1707250211 PLATE - MIRROR TRIANGLE INSIDE RIGHT

The only listing in the UK is for £15 each! That's spiteful! Anyone here breaking a facelift SLK and have these available? (I'll post in the 'parts wanted' forum too)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.