Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Did Mercedes ever use "Continental" brand tires as OEM tires on the 2006 SLK280? I'm looking at one online with only 40,000 miles and am trying to decipher, from the pictures, if the tires have ever been replaced. All I can see is "Continental" written on the side of the tire.

The seller is not very prompt in replying to my questions (maybe he's getting tired of hearing from me :wink:).

Thanks!
Gary

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,249 Posts
Yes they did afaik. Tyre has then the code "MO" which stands for Mercedes Original.
Member from the Dutch MB forum dropped the question at Continetal and got the following reply:

Hello C250TD,

Thank you for your recent query.

The MO (Mercedes Original) marking is for tyres that are specified for
Mercedes vehicles. In some cases, this may mean a specific mix of compound,
especially for their higher powered cars, to afford extra grip and
stability. As the details are confidential and between Mercedes and our
design department, we are not privy to the exact details.

Regards

Craig Sterry

Product Support Engineer

For what it's worth.
In real life tests MO coded tyres performed nothing better than the ones without the MO code however.
As long as it's a premium brand I wouldn't be to concerned about what brand tyres are fitted.
Just my 2 cents.

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,862 Posts
MB is like other maker of cars they use different brands based on the price they get when ordering tires. Many years ago I special ordered two cars that were the same except one had an extra option. They were ordered a few days apart. The dealer agreed to take both cars from the factory as the first order could not be canceled. They both were delivered on the same day and had different brand of tires. The added option had no need for different brand of tires. The orders were build on different days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.