Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That is the official name. Made specifically for R171.

It looks like this

minus the AMG decal ($12)

Every time someone asks about wind blockers for the R171, I have to go looking for pics and instructions, etc. So I made this thread.

2004/5..original price $810. Now on ebay about $450 or if a member sells theirs, maybe $300

Part number: A1718600174 B67812227

Install instructions attached

Not for Designo leather roll bars. but here is a pic of one on a designo roll bar

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,539 Posts
Scary how expensive these items still are! On that note, since they are so easy to remove if you leave the car with the roof off here's my top tip of the day! I have drilled holes each side and tapped in a couple of small Allen key screws recessed. Once these are tightened down it is virtually impossible to slide the screen out. Very discreet mod.

Maya ~ Tapatalk

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,267 Posts
What a great little tip

·
*Registered
2008 SLK350
44 Posts
Have designo but really want one of these as the fabric one is rubbish.

Tempted to try one and see if it fits given the one posted above.

·
*Premium Member
2006 SLK350
73 Posts
@NeilMick, it's definitely doable.

My main problem was that the leading edge of the triangular inserts caught on the seam in the leather, when I tried to push them in.
I overcame that by applying a tiny amount of dry lube to the edges of the inserts.

This lubricating spray dries to a thin film in a couple of hours. I sprayed some on a rag and swiped it onto the forward edges of the inserts.
When it had thoroughly dried, I used a wooden dowel wrapped in cloth and a small rubber mallet, to tap the inserts into place.

I didn't tap especially hard, since I didn't want the risk of breaking the plastic inserts. But I could see them creeping forward, ever so slightly, with every tap.
So, I just kept tapping, going all the way around each triangle maybe six or seven turns, and then they suddenly snapped into place :)

The centre part will be somewhat tighter to mount than normal, because the thickness of the leather makes the gap between the side sections slightly smaller.
The upside of everything sitting really tight, is that you'll never experience any rattles. :)

·
*Registered
2008 SLK350
158 Posts
@NeilMick, it's definitely doable.

My main problem was that the leading edge of the triangular inserts caught on the seam in the leather, when I tried to push them in.
I overcame that by applying a tiny amount of dry lube to the edges of the inserts.
Exactly as I suspected. From Merc point of view is not valid because it won't match color and it won't fit as easily.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK350
44 Posts
So just tried this today on my designo rollover bars and although I can get the side pieces in, when it comes to put the centre piece in then it doesn't really hold in.

Should the side pieces actually "snap" in, I'm not sure if it's due to the fact I haven't got them in far enough? How far past the stitching should they go?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't have designo but the mesh inserts go in from the rear as far as they can go....from the rear of car direction

·
Founding Member 2006
108,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
see the designo pics above? lined up with 'stitching'

·
Founding Member 2006
108,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that is what I surmised when i mentioned twice...from the rear for the inserts
the plexi must have the buttons 'inside' the car :D

Great!!!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
u missing a steering wheel?

·
*Premium Member
2006 SLK350
73 Posts
Nice and snug!
Looking good! (y)

Make really sure that the buttons have clicked and locked the screen in place. Pull the screen upwards to test that it's locked in.
I had to lean into it a fair bit before the buttons on mine clicked into place.
My screen is so tight between the side pieces, that it has a slight bend.

Reactions: etyu
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.