Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2006 SLK55 from a dealership. The car is a Florida (Sarasota) driven car. It had very low miles, (2700). The windows are tinted. I have noticed an odor that I would describe as a smell of melted crayons. It seems to be mostly around the inside of the windshield and maybe the windows. I'm not sure how long ago the window tint was applied. Could it be from that? When riding with the top down the smell is still semi strong. Any ideas would be appreciated. Including techniques to get rid of that smell. Ozone machines??? etc.

I took my car to the dealership and they used a type of industrial ozone machine and it worked great. No more odor!!!

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
The title of this post is begging some sarcasm. :biglaugh: I'm going to exercise self-control as hard as it is.

Your assumption is probably closer than you thought, as far as my experiences have been. I know when I had my windows tinted I had a similar smell.

BTW...welcome to SLKWorld from Germany!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had my windows tinted over a year ago and no smell. Maybe the previous owner left something kicking about in the car somewhere? loads of little places for things to hide

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,433 Posts
if they had any children and the kiddie dropped a crayon into the windshield vent....

·
Registered 2012 SLK 350
166 Posts
odor in auto

I just purchased a 2010 SLK350 with 6000 miles that was driven by the dealer. After I got home I noticed an odor, smells like a pet odor. Asked if the previous driver had pets and was told no. I plan on taking it back to the dealer to change the cabin air filter and maybe deodoridze the carpets. Any suggestions on anything else I can do? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well, dogs and cats rarely leave any odor in a car, unless of course they live in it! Most foul odors in our MBs come from the fact that some leather conditioners, frankly, leave a stench. Example -- Malco leather conditioner is one of the best at conditioning and protecting our leather, but it reeks! I would get some Zaino cleaner and Zaino conditioner. It smells good. I would first clean all leather and vinyl surfaces with the cleaner, then apply the conditioner to these surfaces.

Should that fail, the problem may be with the carpets. I have a small steam cleaning machine that I use on my automotive carpets after vacuuming them. I apply the steam with a brush attachment of medium softness, scrub, and then wipe with a towel.

Should all this fail, have the air conditioner drain hose checked. If it is clogged or kinked, you could have stale water build up in your AC condenser housings, and that can really stink. I mentioned this last, as the stench this causes does not smell like "pet odor" but instead has a mold smell, which in fact it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, I too have this exact same 'waxy odor/wet dog smell' in my used 2013 SLK250. I can't get rid of it. I've tried several 'car bomb' odor eliminator/spray deoderizers, but the smell always returns. I've put odor remover powder on the carpets & vacuumed, I've detailed every surface of the car interior. Now I'm changing the cabin air filter. It smells worse with the heating or AC on, but it still even smells with the roof down or the windows open. The car is immaculate and looks super clean, so not sure where this smell is coming from? Is there somewhere specific that I can take my car to remedy this & what is the exact process I need to request? An industrial ozone machine? Thank you.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,433 Posts
Hi there, I too have this exact same 'waxy odor/wet dog smell' in my used 2013 SLK250. I can't get rid of it. I've tried several 'car bomb' odor eliminator/spray deoderizers, but the smell always returns. I've put odor remover powder on the carpets & vacuumed, I've detailed every surface of the car interior. Now I'm changing the cabin air filter. It smells worse with the heating or AC on, but it still even smells with the roof down or the windows open. The car is immaculate and looks super clean, so not sure where this smell is coming from? Is there somewhere specific that I can take my car to remedy this & what is the exact process I need to request? An industrial ozone machine? Thank you.
Hi! fyi, this thread is 7 years old

here is how to correct that

http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/233026-posting-old-thread-how-fix.html

here is a search on your question from our forum

https://www.google.com/#q=site:slkworld.com+r171+crayon+odor+resolved

still under warranty? have you returned it to dealer for resolution? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.