Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just happened, About 1/4 mile from work, I was driving about 25-35 mph, I felt a clunk sort of like the car down shifted a little stiff, haven't really felt that before. Then I notice that the BAS, ABS, and the Brake warning lights are on, also the gear number instead of D is just dark. I get to work and in a parking spot, the car is stuck in a higher gear than usual as I am pulling into the spot, then after about 5 seconds, all the warning lights go off and the car seems fine then.

Any ideas on this?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,785 Posts
This just happened, About 1/4 mile from work, I was driving about 25-35 mph, I felt a clunk sort of like the car down shifted a little stiff, haven't really felt that before. Then I notice that the BAS, ABS, and the Brake warning lights are on, also the gear number instead of D is just dark. I get to work and in a parking spot, the car is stuck in a higher gear than usual as I am pulling into the spot, then after about 5 seconds, all the warning lights go off and the car seems fine then.

Any ideas on this?

From a site search:

Mercedes Benz SLK Forum - Search Results for SLKWorld.com ABS BAS and brake lit up

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
55 Posts
90% sure its your Wheel speed sensor. Have the same problem with my Escalade. You have to replace the sensor, and or hub, if often comes"packaged" together. Check codes

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,288 Posts
As it did with my Magnum (there, it's called a "tone ring"). Scary when it happens, ain't it? :surprise:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The speed sensor is what I was thinking it probably is.

Previously a few months ago I had attempted to replace the transmission connector with a URO branded version connector, this was a failed attempt, however, I couldn't get the screen to engage to hold the connector in. I ended up using the o-rings from the new connector with the old one.

I pulled codes again with the iCarsoft the other day and was receiving the same codes as before, 1 for the transmission connector and 1 for the brake switch, along with 2 I can't find anything about.

I purchased the $16 connector from the dealer Friday. I removed the wire plug from the connector and there was oil in there. I removed and replaced the connector with the MB part and had no issues getting the screw to engage this time.
I sprayed cleaner on the connectors and blew dry everything and put it back together. I replaced the brake switch also.
So far so good, however, I am still thinking that I might need a speed sensor.
Which one though?

I tried to clear out the codes from the transmission with the scan tool, but it kept coming back as unsuccessful.

The codes from the ESP system that I read are P1200-001 and P1202-001

I drove the car home on the day that it went to limp mode without issue (about 27 miles) and then about 65 miles since I replaced the connector and brake switch without issue also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.