Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a descent OBDII scanner for the R170 that will read and clear SRS errors? I had an Innovia 3100 that was taken in a burglary, but want to replace it with something specific to the R170...if I can.

I bought the iCarsoft i980 because it advertised it would do such feats, but it doesn't even read my ECU. :mad: And their customer support is terrible. I'm being told I have to wait several days for an engineer to diagnose the issue because "he's not in everyday". What?!? Is this a Mom & Pop company??

Anyway, anyone who knows of a good OBDII reader, please educate me.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi DesignoSLK,

I recently purchased an iCarsoft i980, hoping to use it with my 1999 US-version slk230. I wish I'd seen your post first...

The iCarsoft webpage says it works with "chassis 170 (All)", but, just like you, it won't even communicate with my ECU in "Benz" mode. It works in OBDII mode, but I already have a much less expensive OBD reader.

My experience with iCarsoft customer support was dismissive and insulting. Even after I emailed them a picture of the "OBDII compliant" sticker under the hood, they claimed my car was not OBDII compliant.

I noticed that the 1999 slk230 uses motor electronics ME2.1, which I assume the i980 is not programmed to recognize. I'm guessing this is the real issue...

Did you have any luck? I'm about to return my i980.

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK320 & 2000 SLK230
2,722 Posts
Unfortunately my Carly Pro for Mercedes seems the same: very little and non specific information for the R170 "we are unfortunately not supporting the Models which are older than 2005."

Can do as much with Torque Pro for five bucks.

Personally am starting to think that a SLK320 would be more of what I want/need than an R171 and while there are literally dozens of SLKs for sale in central Florida they seem to fall into four classes: junk, rebuilt, described as "excellent" but have check engine light on, or priced higher than most R171s. Personally would expect a 2001 to be priced lower than a 2007 but then do not have to worry about balancer issues with a 320

Nice thing is that all of my Bosch and Mahle Crossfire spares would fit a SLK320. Part of my enjoyment in any car is the tinkering & all of the computers in a 171 make that difficult.

Am I missing something.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would also like to know if anyone has used the Star clone hard drives found on Ebay? I can find the correct computer for next to nothing and would apparently just need to find the elusive correct 38 pin adapter.

The information for the R170 and any workable scanners that can talk to all the modules seems to be all over the place leading to nothing that 'a $5 scanner can do' or 3k for a Autel semi pro scanner. Any of the lower end Autel scanners work for R170's with adapter?

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The i980 is junk for our R170s. hill_slk, I got the same insulting attitude from their so-called "customer support".

I ended up (happily) with Autel's MD802 w/ DS708 "BENZ" 32-pin adapter. It works great and also covers a wide range of vehicles, foreign and domestic. I see it's come down considerably in price (about $110) since I bought mine for $240.

Also, stay a way from the cheap $5 32-pin adapters, they are missing a pin crucial to proper operation on the R170. Expect to pay at least $90 for the DS708 BENZ 32-pin adapter.

Reactions: Naja

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
63 Posts
I've had good luck with my i980, on a post facelift R170 though. No more round diagnostics connector there. Sounds like I'm lucky I haven't had to deal with Customer Support yet!

·
*Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Is the i980 able to reset airbag/SRS faults ? That seems to be the real test. Autoenginuity says they can ("Yes we can Read/Clear coded on the airbag system.") but are quite pricy for third party software.
ST06 ProLine Hardware $249
EI17 Mercedes Expansion $229 (different expansion needed for other carlines, GM, Chrysler, etc.)
Ground Shipping (USA only) $14
Particularly if I need yet another expansion for my R-170 clone.

Was surprised that Carley for Mercedes cannot do the R170 (connects to the dongle but not the ECM). Torque Pro does connect but cannot do much.

So still looking for the true answer for a hobbyist.

·
Registered 2003 SLK200
129 Posts
Is the i980 able to reset airbag/SRS faults ?
I bought an i980 before reading this thread:surprise:
All I can say is that, for me, it works. Be that in OBD2 or Merc mode.
The first thing I did when it arrived was update it online.
I reset the SRS and ABS and it cleared a motor code that the local "garagiste" with his super duper OBD2 computer could not.
My car is a 2003

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know of a descent OBDII scanner for the R170 that will read and clear SRS errors? I had an Innovia 3100 that was taken in a burglary, but want to replace it with something specific to the R170...if I can.

I bought the iCarsoft i980 because it advertised it would do such feats, but it doesn't even read my ECU. :mad: And their customer support is terrible. I'm being told I have to wait several days for an engineer to diagnose the issue because "he's not in everyday". What?!? Is this a Mom & Pop company??

Anyway, anyone who knows of a good OBDII reader, please educate me.
On ebay by the cheapest one and a 38 pin converter maybe (OBD2 to 38 pin)

·
Registered
393 Posts
So . . .

Since you all don't like (or have issues with) the iCarsoft, why not buy another Innova 3100? (About $140 from a national car parts chain.) I've been looking at getting one; it sounds as if the important part is the database for the codes?

·
*Premium Member
2,722 Posts
For me the iCarSoft MBII (not the i980) is doing what I need for both my '01 SLK and '07 Clone. It is able to examine all of the necessary systems albeit it does not seem to be able to scan all at once, they have to be scanned one system at a time. Second it is able to record sessions for later review.

The big issue is that the "upload" capability of the recorded session, though there, it does not work & iCarSoft just confirmed that it does not work: "MB II not support upload data yet". This left me with photographing and saving 31 displays to cover everything. All of my other scanners (Torque Pro, Carly Pro) have this capability.

Now a request: will everyone who has a iCarSoft or who is considering one please send an e-mail to [email protected] and tell them that for a Mercedes, the ability to record codes offline is an essential function. If they get enough e-mails it will raise the priority but need your support.

Thank you

Attachments

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For me the iCarSoft MBII (not the i980) is doing what I need for both my '01 SLK and '07 Clone. It is able to examine all of the necessary systems albeit it does not seem to be able to scan all at once, they have to be scanned one system at a time. Second it is able to record sessions for later review.

For me the big issue is that the "upload" capability of the recorded session, though there, it does not work & iCarSoft just confirmed that it does not work: "MB II not support upload data yet". This left me with photographing and saving 31 displays to cover everything. All of my other scanners (Torque Pro, Carly Pro) have this capability.

Now a request: will everyone who has a iCarSoft or who is considering one please send an e-mail to [email protected] and tell them that for a Mercedes, the ability to record codes offline is an essential function. If they get enough e-mails it will raise the priority but need your support.

Thank you
Can you erase/reset SRS errors with the iCarSoft MBII?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Padgett. I have spent hours and weeks doing this exact search. I made contact with most advertisers and sellers only to be told that their scanner would not work with the R!170. I presume you have a 38 pin socket. It drove me crazy
I finally got a positive response from a seller of a scanner called Vident. My initial contact was with a person from America who was very helpful. I double checked with a dealer here in Australia and received the same positive reply. I went further and e mailed the Chinese manufacturers and had the same positive result. Yes its chinese, but what isn't these days.
I ordered a model called a Vident iLink 400 single make version for about $325 Australian plus an adaptor cable for 38 pin to OBD2. It was not easy to understand the setup instructions but I did get through it eventually. It did connect to my car and it does read and clear codes. My car had a P0715 transmission code, I still have not resolved that problem but am happy with the scanner. I gambled a little but I think I came out a winner. happy to help anytime

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since you all don't like (or have issues with) the iCarsoft, why not buy another Innova 3100? (About $140 from a national car parts chain.) I've been looking at getting one; it sounds as if the important part is the database for the codes?
Sorry lil, I somehow missed your question. The reason I didn't buy another 3100 was in my research it became suspect it wouldn't reset an SRS error, which was what I needed.

I've been happy with my Autel setup. But, if I had it to do again, I'd probably pursue the MBII route first as it seems a little cheaper. Although, as I said earlier, the price for an 802 has come down considerably.

Reactions: lilred320SLK
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.