Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent "Check Engine" light (Turns on and off about every 2 days). I already have an appointment at the mechanic shop.... BUt for future issues I was thinking about an ODB2 Scanner....
This one seems to be interesting as it is compatible with Android units:
Amazon.com: PLX Devices Kiwi Bluetooth Wireless Trip Computer and OBDII Scanner: Automotive

I have a Parrot Asteroid unit in-dash.... so it might get the data from there... maybe... if not I wouldn't mind accessing it through my phone....

This one also looks interesting:
Amazon.com: goPoint Technology GL1 OBD-II Accessory for iPhone/iPod/iPad: Automotive

And I have an unused iPod touch laying around I might use for that....

Any experiences? Will those diagnose the "Check Engine" light? Will those work on a 2000 SLK 230? (Supposedly it works with any car built after 1996)

·
Registered
42 Posts
The GoPint unit can be had for less diectly from their website as opposed to Amazon (~70 USD shipped) They also have a bluetooth unit that will work without a cable. There is software other than their own for use as an onboard monitoring tool. Down load the free GoPoint app before buying, to get a feel for the software.
Any low cost $30 USD and up OBD2 scanner can reset and read the standard codes. More costly units go beyond the DTC and can store data and transfer to a PC, and/or provide realtime readouts from some sensors.
If a onboard reader to use constantly is desired, than some other units to look at are "Ultragauge" and Scanguage2"

For more Mercedes specific diagnostics by the DIY'er, Carsoft and a laptop go further than any of the OBD2 readers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.