Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Here is the start of a thread for the Northern California and Southern California meet on October 15, 2011.

We will start talking it up here in the north and look forward to it :tu:

·
Registered
420 Posts
NO RAIN!!! *knocks on wood, wears a horse shoe, rubs his lucky rabbit's foot, picks a 4 leaf clover up*

I'm REALLY hoping for a chance to check out some foresty areas so I can get some shots. You all know me, first I wanted my stars, now I want my forest shots :p

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Subscribing. Definitely interested. We probably have a pretty good template for locations etc, based on the trip SoCal+Stinger made in March.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Might be in. Not that I wouldn't love to meet the NoCal group but id prefer somewhere different. Cambria is beautiful and all but with limited vacation time id love to go somewhere I haven't been, even if it was near Cambria.... although the thought of 20~ SLKS together would probably win me over.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be in. Not that I wouldn't love to meet the NoCal group but id prefer somewhere different. Cambria is beautiful and all but with limited vacation time id love to go somewhere I haven't been, even if it was near Cambria.... although the thought of 20~ SLKS together would probably win me over.
Just north from Cambria, the Big Sur coast can be awful inviting...check out this old summary from our October '06 run...same time of year:
http://home.comcast.net/~motzko/slkqt/0610slk.mov

...:rb

...old QuickTime...might load a little slow...

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
The drive north from Cambria to Big Sur and Carmel are spectacular. You don't want to miss this twisty drive with breath-taking vistas. We were not able to do this in March because of road closure on PCH. Cambria is mainly to have a nice place to rest for the evenings.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The drive north from Cambria to Big Sur and Carmel are spectacular. You don't want to miss this twisty drive with breath-taking vistas. We were not able to do this in March because of road closure on PCH. Cambria is mainly to have a nice place to rest for the evenings.
Indeed... the idea of the last Big Sur trip was to do this section in particular, it's just that the whole area is sooo nice that it didn't matter that much in the end. :)

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
We could always go the opposite direction into the Sierra's. I have never been to Shaver Lake but the forest looks lush and green, definitely not desert. Winding roads around the lake's shore looks like a fun time. Transit times for each side would be about the same as the coastal destination. Weather could be a little iffy but it should be Indian summeer there as well. Just a thought, but where ever we land, i'm in.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
We could always go the opposite direction into the Sierra's. I have never been to Shaver Lake but the forest looks lush and green, definitely not desert. Winding roads around the lake's shore looks like a fun time. Transit times for each side would be about the same as the coastal destination. Weather could be a little iffy but it should be Indian summeer there as well. Just a thought, but where ever we land, i'm in.
Just speaking for the northern group:
In looking at the routes and transit times, from the south bay, San Simeon or even Cambria is a little shorter than Shaver Lake, but more importantly form a drive perspective, the coast is 2/3 of the route, where going to Shaver Lake would involve what we have found as less desirable freeway and straight road driving...just a thought...

We tend to plan around the route or drive rather than the destination.

We can get a lot of opinions on our 5/21 Campbell to Carmel Valley event...:tu:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Agreed... I'd rather not do Shaver lake as it's not only further away, but also a kinda boring road from SoCal (the I-5 and 99 to Fresno). We have to think about where the SoCal group would stay the first night.

But since we're mentioning the gorgeous Sierra Nevadas, here's another idea around that:
For Socal it'd be first night in Lone Pine. We'd get there in a very interesting drive through a very desertic area. We can stop in Red Rock Canyon, Fossil Falls, and Mt. Whitney portal for short sightseeing hikes (been there and they're all amazing). We'd get there by the end of the day, not driving more than an hour or so at a time.
Second day it'd be driving up ACROSS Yosemite, on the 120.

Per Wikipedia ". Usually the highway is open through Tioga Pass by the Memorial Day weekend at the end of May, and typically closes for the winter sometime in November."

So it'd be open, specially if we can do it early in October. I've never done this part but have been to Yosemite in the past and it is AMAZING. We could meet up with the NorCal group somewhere in yosemite, and do Saturday night around there.

Sunday would be just driving back through a not very exciting road (as described before).

Opinions?

·
19,407 Posts
I still favor PCH.

Reactions: Bleen

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm going to have to side with the tree run this time, Eddy. Most of us SoCal folk live near the ocean, and we've done the run already. I have to say that the most MAJESTIC thing on our Cambria adventure was the woodland driving where we took an INSANELY sharp turn, but were surrounded by the tallest, most beautiful redwoods (?) I'd ever seen. To jog the memory, this is where I pointed up while we were under it.

I'd like to see something like that again. Remember - I saw my stars! I want my trees now!

·
19,407 Posts
I'm going to have to side with the tree run this time, Eddy. Most of us SoCal folk live near the ocean, and we've done the run already. I have to say that the most MAJESTIC thing on our Cambria adventure was the woodland driving where we took an INSANELY sharp turn, but were surrounded by the tallest, most beautiful redwoods (?) I'd ever seen. To jog the memory, this is where I pointed up while we were under it.

I'd like to see something like that again. Remember - I saw my stars! I want my trees now!
We can go north early Saturday morning and meet the NorCal folks at Marina (near Monterey) or Gilroy and drive inland following what Motzkoman posted. This way you have coast vista with twisty drive (2.5 hr drive) and mountain trees.

I've also learned that the mountain road leading from Cambria to 46 towards Paso Robles is a nice drive. Pablo had looked at this while in Cambria. We can take this road returning to Cambria or leaving Cambria towards Solvang the next day (Sunday).

·
Registered
420 Posts
We can go north early Saturday morning and meet the NorCal folks at Marina (near Monterey) or Gilroy and drive inland following what Motzkoman posted. This way you have coast vista with twisty drive and mountain trees.
FINE Fine fine ya sold me ya sold me! How many days should I expect this event to be?

·
19,407 Posts
FINE Fine fine ya sold me ya sold me! How many days should I expect this event to be?
I'm planing a 3-day weekend: 3 days, 2 nights but am flexible at this point.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We can go north early Saturday morning and meet the NorCal folks at Marina (near Monterey) or Gilroy and drive inland following what Motzkoman posted. This way you have coast vista with twisty drive (2.5 hr drive) and mountain trees.

I've also learned that the mountain road leading from Cambria to 46 towards Paso Robles is a nice drive. Pablo had looked at this while in Cambria. We can take this road returning to Cambria or leaving Cambria towards Solvang the next day (Sunday).
Angi and I did highway 46 towards Paso Robles to visit our favorite winery. It is hilly and a bit twisty. Lots of nice views of hills and valleys.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts