Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Guys/Ladies

just had my car put on computer and to my surprise it only one error code which couldn't be cleared down !! can anyone tell me what it means please??sorry the image file won't load.but it reads...1998 Mercedes 170 (slk - clas) P0170 - A SELF ADAPTATION AT Limit (n3/10) This is when i popped up when I asked for the engine codes to be run. Please help to let me know what this means please??

cheers in advance

Edwin

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,450 Posts
What the P0170 code means. The P0170 code means that the powertrain control module is detecting a fuel trim that is outside the range of specification set by the vehicle's manufacturer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very,very quick Jeff lol!"! what does that mean to me ....is it a new part ? what doe I have to do?is this bad news?

thanks

Edwin

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,450 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,088 Posts
According to the Fault Code Manual there are two types of code:- Component Failure codes and System Failure codes. The P0170 code, 'Fuel Trim', is referred to as a system failure code. This can mean that something is out of calibration rather than something has actually failed. For fuel trim the manual lists the following as possible causes:

• Fuel tank ran empty
  • Incorrect Fuel Pressure
  • Injector valve defective or coked
  • Engine Temperature Sensor defective
  • EGR valve leak
  • Secondary air leak
  • EVAP control system defective
  • Air Mass Meter defective
  • O2 sensor aging (slow response) or inactive
  • Combustion disturbed by mechanical failure (Spark plugs, compression, intake/exhaust valves, ...etc.)
None of which I'm afraid answer your problem directly - but they do show you we need more info to help you diagnose the problem(s).

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,068 Posts
That code can be caused by a lot of things, a good mechanic should be able to sort it out. Usually it's more labor than parts but there can be exceptions. If start looking for lose it broken vacuum hoses.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,227 Posts
You've used a code reader, so first question....why?

Is the car running poorly? Misfire? Poor to pull away etc etc

It will help the experts narrow down the answers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a complete list of codes if its any help to you. P0170 relates to a "Fuel trim malfunction bank 1" a strange code for a R170. Goes on to say to look for vacuum leaks first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.