Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving on a two-week drive from NYC to San Francisco on Tuesday.

I didn't really have much in the way of plans, since there's a lot of stuff to see on the way anyway but nothing that really stands out more than anything else, and then I realized that the government shutdown means the parks and monuments that I was looking forward to might all be closed. >_<

Any government-shutdown-immune suggestions? I was thinking of driving along the Gulf Coast, maybe dodging hurricanes, or tornados, or alligators, or rednecks with shot****, or any of that other interesting stuff along there ;)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,886 Posts
clearbra

Keep it clean boys!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
What a great drive !
But what Lousy Government timing....

A friend has just flown to NYC for a 2 week holiday, she is NOT happy with Congress :-(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A... clear bra? First I've heard of it (yay, forum wisdom!)! Is that something I can still do before Tuesday, or does it take a while to arrange? Where would I get something like this done?

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Use yelp, or the good folks on this forum. It's probably too late to get one installed tomorrow before you leave BUT it's worth a shot. Because after your road trip you know your paint job is going to take a beating. Search google or yelp for paint chip prevention clearbra and your zip code. It should come up with a lot of places. I dont think doing the front will take more than a day if someone has an opening.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
What a great drive !
But what Lousy Government timing....

A friend has just flown to NYC for a 2 week holiday, she is NOT happy with Congress :-(
Her and everyone else. I cannot name one friend, republican or democrat, that has said, "Geez, I'm happy with our elected officials" these days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do that. Is this the kind of thing that might complicate handing her back at the end of the lease if I decide not to buy her out? I guess it probably isn't, since they offer something like it as a dealer option...

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just spoke to a nearby workshop, who quoted $775 for installing a clearbra. The M-B dealer would have done it for $599 and included leather protection for the interior - don't I feel silly now :p

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,349 Posts
I would not worry too much unless your route calls for driving on dirty roads behind big trucks or driving thru a sandstorm. A 3k trip in a week is less than the normal 10k that you would put on it in a year. If anything is front gets covered with bugs you should get them washed off soon. Some bugs juice can do damage to paint, example love bugs you find in Florida.

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Here is what I got on a trip out west.

I already knocked off SOME of the bugs before taking the picture.

Next day I power washed it at a car wash place and it STILL didn't get all the bug remnants off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Highly recommend some of the older cities in the midwest like St Louis (though the Arch museum will now be closed)...great food, people, architecture, history. As well, pick up on old Route 66. Great cities in the SW, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Austin, Sedona, Flagstaff area rocks (then zip out to the coast and go north along Highway 1).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts