Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting on a plane for a two week vacation in Europe....retrace my roots sorta thing (born in Germany as an Army brat).

I've lined up a lap day at the "Ring" and have found a company that rents all sorts of Mercedes cars from past years....so I'm gonna rent a 2006 SLK55 and a 2009 SL55!

Wanna break 9 minutes if I can!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Congratulations on the trip and have fun at the "Ring". I was stationed in Schweinfurt for a while and never made a lap there. I was having way too much fun with the Autobahn :)

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Born in Baumholder but was also stationed in Munich, Augsburg, Frankfurt, Heidlburg, and at "Graf".

Memories on my Dad steaming down the Autobahn in our 69 Pontiac Gran Prix and making the 911's get out of the fast lane!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Getting on a plane for a two week vacation in Europe....retrace my roots sorta thing (born in Germany as an Army brat).

I've lined up a lap day at the "Ring" and have found a company that rents all sorts of Mercedes cars from past years....so I'm gonna rent a 2006 SLK55 and a 2009 SL55!

Wanna break 9 minutes if I can!
That sounds like a wonderful experience ! Good Luck :rb

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Living the dream, envious. I wouldn't take the SL55, it's too heavy. You should try the new Porsche Boxster or the Cayman, mid engine and handles extremely well, although maybe not as fun on a fast track like the Nurburgring. The new 911 does it in 7.44 with a professional test driver. Don't forget to bring a camera.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am sooooo envious, dude! A buddy in Dusseldorf has been trying to get me over there for ages.....it's on the bucket list!
You're going to video the lap(s), yes?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well....I did it!

The "range director" said if I could break 9 minutes he would give me a gift.

8:28:22!

Got me a set of Nurburgring decals.....worth $2 I'm sure, but will add them to the 55 proudly.

No video as I had a Li-ion battery snafu.....and I didn't even fly on a 787!

The SLK I "rented" was stock for 2006...but it felt different especially out of the corners. Found out it had a Quiafe LSD installed...gotta have that!

More later.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Sounds wonderful !

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK....the car I rented was a "stock" 2006 SLK 55, except:

Quaife LSD
V3 coil overs
8.5" x 18" fronts with 235 Pilot S/S
9.5" x 18" rears with 265 Pilot S/S
98 octane fuel
some sort of aftermarket headers and crossover pipe
engine tune of some sort

Not very stock...exchanged an email with the rental place and dragged it out of him!

All in all it was a blast and used every skill I learned in my road racing days (past) and good coaching by the ride along "expert". 4 laps in total, best being lap 3....only one spin out on lap 1 and a kinda freakish moment in lap 4 which I'm still recovering from. I had also rented a SL55 to compare....but it was "hurt" by the previous rental (slightly bent on the passenger side...or totaled in my speak).

I now am in full afterburner to add some handling upgrades to my 55!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts