Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, first posing on slk forum, i have read previously on here regarding retrofitting of new comand ntg 2.5, and am looking for urgent info to do with getting dealer to enable sound as the unit i have installed is logic 7 enabled. The dealer couldnt get star machine to talk to comand. By putting into star that its an r171 helps star talk to it. Dealer has called bak to say unless theres a secret menu that i can tell him about hes unable to change settings! Any help would be really appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hi guys, first posing on slk forum, i have read previously on here regarding retrofitting of new comand ntg 2.5, and am looking for urgent info to do with getting dealer to enable sound as the unit i have installed is logic 7 enabled. The dealer couldnt get star machine to talk to comand. By putting into star that its an r171 helps star talk to it. Dealer has called bak to say unless theres a secret menu that i can tell him about hes unable to change settings! Any help would be really appreciated thanks.
The dealer needs to do this in developer mode. He can obtain the password from MB head office.

Good luck, not all dealers will do this.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Can't he also do a straight SCN coding of "No Sound System" or is that still developer only? What do you mean "putting in star it's a R171" - what kind of car have you put the unit into?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can't he also do a straight SCN coding of "No Sound System" or is that still developer only? What do you mean "putting in star it's a R171" - what kind of car have you put the unit into?
The SCN coding will fail if the car is not a MY09 car. When online to MB the system checks the chassis number against the option being added and if that option code isnt valid for that model year chassis then it fails.

The initial Startup sequence must be performed first if the unit is new. If the unit is previously used then providing the auto theft Protection' hasnt kicked in then 'Sound' can be turned off thus disabling HK. It is also worth noting that to do the job properly all the head unit paramters should be setup including seat type, equalisation, MOST bus and whether the car is RHD or LHD.

I dont want to give away too much IP here as it took a long time to work out how to do much of this, but lets just say that the SLK and SL range are a 'special' case in STAR.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Alfie,

Have you heard anything about the suggestion you can disable logic 7 by holding down the power button and waiting for the unit to boot then rotating the volume button left or right?

Doesn't sound very MB to me, but had heard someone managed this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Alfie,

Have you heard anything about the suggestion you can disable logic 7 by holding down the power button and waiting for the unit to boot then rotating the volume button left or right?

Doesn't sound very MB to me, but had heard someone managed this.
Yes I heard this but I think its a bit of a Red Herring.

Its mentioned here;
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/914191-post5.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ntg 2.5 comand retrofit problems

Hi, the car that it is fitted into now is a w211 2004 e class, it powers up and everything seems to be working except the sound. jcerecordingscom is where i was told about the star being able to communicate with the unit only if it was told something about it being an r171 because it wont communicate/recognise it for the reason that it isnt being recognised due to it being in an older car.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Yeah, those guys are about 50/50 accuracy wise. Whoever is driving SDS on your car needs to be **really** careful working on one model while coding for another - particularly since the SLK ECU/ and CGW are borrowed from the E.

Where are you located?

I dont want to give away too much IP here as it took a long time to work out how to do much of this, but lets just say that the SLK and SL range are a 'special' case in STAR.
Boy, I really can't wait to buy you a pint or two! ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im just nead glasgow in scotland - its been a real nightmare this carry on. i really appreciate your help and alfies to .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts