Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drive a SLK 230 that's getting painted as we speak. It has 19" AMG rims on it as well. I ordered a package of AMG badges to place on the rims as I like them more than the Merc star. The package also came with one for the hood which I was thinking about placing on for the aforementioned reason. I have completely de-badged the trunk except for the star. I wanted to place pictures on this site as I thought it would be nice to show off the new look. but when I read "Henry, for those that love these cars, and cars in general, it is a sin to pose - mark the car as something better than it is. Is your ego that weak that you are trying to impress the world by lying?" I now have second thoughts. Almost no one knows what an AMG is and most don't care.

It kinda sucks that some people are so egotistical about badging of a car might start calling me a poser. I understand and am still laughing about the other post with the Miata badged as a SLK 230 and a merc as well. That **** is funny as hell to me. I guess it's more of a voicing a concern / rant for me than anything else....what is everyone's take on this?

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,155 Posts
I agree with the others. Why badge it as something it is not? People that recognise your car as a poser will only think less of you, and it is pretty obvious with most cars. Bit like those boy racers with loads of bling, noise and zero go!;)

We have a lot of that here in Australia.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Not for me, sorry !

Why show it as something its not ?

By all means debadge any car and a good paint job , Looks very cool.

Just my opinion and means nothing, of course !

·
Registered
17 Posts
For me it ruins the look of the car. Call me a purist but I'd never buy a car like that. To me it is really seedy-looking.
If people don't care they don't notice the posing. If they do care you can expect mixed feelings.

However if you like it that way, be my guest.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
90% of the world [yes.. this means the men because the % of women out there that knows what an amg is much less knows what it's supposed to look like is .00001%] aren't going to have any idea what a true AMG is supposed to look like. And the other 10% are on this board and have 50k posts under their belt [the experts].

Your car
Your rules
Your money

You trick that mother out any way you want and have no regrets LOL! AND .. we want pictures!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,230 Posts
The debaged look is intriguing to me. Others are fixated on the car and left wondering...Leave just the star and it's simple yet classy.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,899 Posts
I agree with slk320chick "Your car, Your rules, Your money".

I personalized my SLK and Gold Wing to suit my fancy. I know when I put my pristine customized Gold Wing in a Harley show that my chances of winning the Lotto are better than me beating a grimy, bug splattered, road tar coated, oil dripping HD. lol

Know your audience and take the flak in stride.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
I say De-Badge all the way! It looks better and let people guess. I'm asked all the time "what model is that"? People don't even know it's an SLK much less an AMG! But I will tell you, I have had more people ASSUME that it is an AMG than not.

I also say No Posing! I agree, don't call it something it isn't.

Then again, it is your car. But be prepared to take a rashing if that's what you want to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I say De-Badge all the way! It looks better and let people guess. I'm asked all the time "what model is that"? People don't even know it's an SLK much less an AMG! But I will tell you, I have had more people ASSUME that it is an AMG than not.
Agree! De-badging (Euro style) all the way is MUCH better than posing! I'd leave the Merc star on however ;)

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,230 Posts
Ahhh But !! posing, can sometimes win the ladies .R) lol
The key word is 'sometimes'.

If I found out you represented your car as something it's not I would definitely think to myself "self, what else is phony about this guy" and probably never return your calls, texts, or emails.:mad:

But, of course, it's totally up to you!:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The key word is 'sometimes'.

If I found out you represented your car as something it's not I would definitely think to myself "self, what else is phony about this guy" and probably never return your calls, texts, or emails.:mad:

But, of course, it's totally up to you!:)

That's pretty funny! You would write someone off for having a decal on a car that's not suppose to be on it. Hilarious! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
343 Posts
i dont know, mercedes itself is already a "luxury car", u need an AMG badge to win ladies? and u r also lying to get ladies? iono, i never thought of using my car this way

and u will be surprised how many people can recognize AMG and non-AMG

it's ur money, ur car, and it's been done so many times by so many drivers (clk550 amg, s550 amg, cls550 amg)

if u r gonna do it, at least get the body style and the quad exhaust (for r171,172) so u can do it right... but then again with that money, u can prob get urself a real AMG

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
It has been my experience through many years of observation that car posers are posers in other areas of their lives in general as well. This is especially true in terms of status. Don't tell me you've got money or class or whatever, but demonstrate those things through your actions and demeanor. If you're a poser, the only person you're fooling is yourself and others unaware of what you're purporting. I have no tolerance for folks like this who generally are ladder climbing wannabes and weak ego validation seekers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont know, mercedes itself is already a "luxury car", u need an AMG badge to win ladies? and u r also lying to get ladies? iono, i never thought of using my car this way

and u will be surprised how many people can recognize AMG and non-AMG

it's ur money, ur car, and it's been done so many times by so many drivers (clk550 amg, s550 amg, cls550 amg)

if u r gonna do it, at least get the body style and the quad exhaust (for r171,172) so u can do it right... but then again with that money, u can prob get urself a real AMG

No I actually wouldn't be surprised...It's a very very low percent.
It's odd how people turn putting anything AMG on the car means you're trying to win ladies....99% have NO CLUE what it is yet everyone is fixated on that being a reason let alone the main one.

I de-badged the back and there is no mention of AMG on it or anything such the only mention of AMG is on the rims and possibly on the hood...you know the 3 inch plate?

I appreciate all the feed back on this topic it's interesting to see some don't give a **** (what I would consider a normal attitude) to people writing someone off completely for stickers on a car. The psychology behind how people identify with there car as it is an extension of themselves (personality, financially and physically) is interesting...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It has been my experience through many years of observation that car posers are posers in other areas of their lives in general as well. This is especially true in terms of status. Don't tell me you've got money or class or whatever, but demonstrate those things through your actions and demeanor. If you're a poser, the only person you're fooling is yourself and others unaware of what you're purporting. I have no tolerance for folks like this who generally are ladder climbing wannabes and weak ego validation seekers.
That's interesting Lew! Exactly how many "posers" do you know that well personally? You have no tolerance for that so I was wondering how many people are in and out of your life for such a statement.
I haven't found that to be the case when I use to belong to car clubs and such especially when I was in the mustang click. Lot's of people with v6 or GT mustang would put cobra badging on, change the exhust system out to look like it etc etc and I didn't know them to be "posers" in any other areas of their lives. Granted I didn't have an intimant relationship with them as you might have had with yours though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.