Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was a minorly significant day in that it was my last day at work ... I've retired from my technical writing position at Apple :) ... but the fun moment came as I drove home at the end of the day.

I avoided the highway as it looked like a parking lot and took surface streets. As I'm nearing my neighborhood, I notice a familiar looking front end in the rear view mirror ... A black 171 SLK350 looking an awful lot like mine was following me. We came to a light at a major intersection and stopped, side by side, when I notice that ANOTHER black 171 SLK is stopped across the intersection. I pointed, rolled down my window, the couple in the car next to me rolled down theirs.

"Now how often can it happen that three typ 171 SLKs, same color, can be at the same intersection simultaneously... just at random?"
"Never happened to me before," said the guy driving.

A flash of lights and the three cars moved on in their separate ways a few moments later.

Onwards!
G

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,785 Posts
At last! Man has come to his senses!

Cloning something useful like R171s for a change :D

Enjoy the retirement!

May it be as quiet as you want it to be,
& as loud as you wish.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Conhrats on your big day sir! You worked for Apple? I won't hold that against you. I wish you all the best, you deserve it.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,478 Posts
Congrats on your retirement!

Did you give out any SLKWorld.com cards?

Also moved the thread to
I've spotted an SLK section

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,961 Posts
I wish you good health and a retirement filled with long topless drives!

I would buy a lottery ticket!

·
Registered sold both-> SLK350, SLK '55
996 Posts
Congratulations!
Enjoy the "smooth" ride from now on.
I think you had an epiphany!
The universe is trying to give you a message.
You have to triple the times you enjoy your car from now on.

Tapatalking

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The big epiphany that it was time to move on from my work happened some time ago, but I did have an epiphany over the past week or so.

I was actually quite content with my SLK230K and had planned to stick with it for another 100,000 miles or more. So when it was sadly destroyed by a careless driver, it really put me off ... unplanned expenses right on the verge of stepping into retirement, a car I was very comfortable and content with gone, sigh.

The SLK280 is so very different in so many ways that it took me a little while to adjust to it. The high-winding six, the automatic transmission, the absurdly over-complicated stereo system and its crappy sound, etc etc, all put me off. And I missed my yellow peril that I was so comfortable in. But last Sunday's ride, with all the maintenance done, the new wheels and tires, the new audio system, et al, proved to me that in fact I'm liking the SLK280 even more than the SLK230K. It's better handling, slicker in operation, does a better job in the twisty roads that I love, and is actually more comfortable. The engine is more flexible, the brakes are better, there are more subtle conveniences ...

Yes, it cost me a bit of a chunk more than I'd planned to spend. In the long run, my finances are not going to live or die by that amount of money. It's still a bargain compared to buying any new car, and I could never afford the kind of performance and quality that I'm getting with it in a new car.

So it's official: I'm now happier with the SLK280 than I was with the SLK230K. Ah, if only it was yellow... >:D

onwards,
G

(Note: I still occasionally stab for the clutch pedal when I'm starting the car... )

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
191 Posts
Happy Retirement.

I've retired from my technical writing position at Apple :

Congratulations on your retirement Godfrey. I wish you many pleasant years of doing just, whatever, the heck you want to be doing :wink:

I've still got 8 years of wrenching on airplanes to go :surprise:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.