Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to this forum. & I am a novice 2001 R170 SLK 320 Owner.

Question 1. Mechanically car seems fine but last owner had no records but claimed to regularly service with a mechanic. (I know!) I know a date with a MB center should be in order, right?
Question 2: Attached are pics of rust spots. My thoughts were the whole hood will need to be redone. Any thoughts, hints or suggestions on that?
Question 3: Attached are pics of side of car to show break down of black trim material. Again any thoughts, hints or suggestions about that?

Yes, I really am a novice. I have a million questions but I thought 3 is a good starting number! LOL! All input will be greatly appreciated!!
McSLK

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,554 Posts
1st? A trip with the top down, music ever on stomp, holding the hand of one you LUV. Joy is better when it is shared.

Then to a shop, or indie mechanic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My hood was my cars worst feature- paint spots everywhere, but almost all of it turned out to be aftermarket paint put on over very minute stone chips.. in the UK we have a product called T Cut- a rubbing polish- which really took out 95% of the paint issues.. I used an eating knife and T Cut to pare off the excess paint which an owner had put on.. Although your hood may have different type of damage, might be worth using similar product. Or try and find a good second hand hood. However compared to my previous car of 12 years, a 1991 W201 190, the modern mercs paint is rubbish compared to 80s and early 90s mercs :( Oh, I also purchased a restorative polish, as I had a bad bodywork patch near the petrol filler- possibly was laquer damage/spilled petrol, but the product did the trick. Hope you get it sorted. If its deep paint scratch, maybe you might need a mobile bodyshop guy to see if he can quote you.

My R170 is just over 80,000 miles and full service history and although I don't use car much, she has had two oil changes despite doing about 1700 miles in 18 months. I would invest in an oil and maybe a gearbox oil change if you are unsure about your cars history.

Hope your SLK has/will be a good one.. I love mine, I clean it more than I use it! Kevin

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,537 Posts
A question for you
how much money do you have for repairs/service
if you have 4 or 5 Hundred $ take it to a MB dealer otherwise take it to an independent shop.
then you can pick and choose what to fix now & later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.