Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, here's a signup for the mini meet for the next next weekend.

I know you guys wanted the coming weekend, but news says it may rain, let's not do THAT again....LOL...

Anything you guys wanted to do in particular?

Dyno run or go-karting?

I say we do an OC run since everything has been in LA area and further. Also, how about a Temecula winery run?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Nov. 27th, Saturday, may be OK as of now.

I do have my brother visiting with his wife. I wonder if I can leave the in-laws alone at home or go shoppin' (Gulp! did I just say that?) and ask my brother to come along. Do you think there will be fireworks when we get home? LOL :biglaugh:

Temecula sounds good. IIRC we did a drive with Durk leading -- when we lost a couple of attendees.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd rather do go-karting though I know that *somebody* will probably sit that one out *cough*Durk*cough*. :p
Here's another idea... ATVs on the beach. I have NO idea if they do that here anywhere though, I did it back in Argentina and it's a blast. Does anyone know?

I'm good with either day.

Mini meet!

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hmm.. as much fun as go-carting would be, im kind of interested in doing a drive in the actual SLK, wonder why that is? ;)

But regardless, im interested in a meet either Saturday or Sunday the next next weekend.

Let me know!

·
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, then how about Temecula winery run? let's make it Saturday before noon? is that good for you Eddy?

ATV on the beach is tough in California, too many pollution concerns. Down in the Palm Spring area there are a couple nice ATV rental tracks we can go to.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,926 Posts
I'm in for either day of that weekend. Temecula sounds like fun, so does Palm Springs. There's a good road that connects the two as well (through Anza Valley, lots of fun), or we go through Hemet up to Idyllwild. I think Matt will want to want to give the car a bit of a workout R).

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'd rather do go-karting though I know that *somebody* will probably sit that one out *cough*Durk*cough*. :p
Here's another idea... ATVs on the beach. I have NO idea if they do that here anywhere though, I did it back in Argentina and it's a blast. Does anyone know?

I'm good with either day.

Mini meet!
ATV's on the beach sorta: I think you can rent ATVs and ride the sand dunes near the beach in Pismo Beach (I did it in 2005, so not sure what the last 5 years have brought to the dunes and regulations).

Also there is an official off-roading state park right off I-5 near Gorman, and some rental places nearby.

And for the 27th, I have to be a party pooper. Inlaws in town all week, and I am on the hook to drive my Wife's folks to the airport around noon on the 27th.

I am still up for trying to get a dyno day set up someday in the near future, even if it is a small group.

Edit: for future reference: it looks like you can still ride the beach sand dunes at Pismo Beach:

http://www.pismoatvrentals.com/area_info_main.htm

here is the link to the Hungry Valley California State Park for offroading:

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1192

·
4,926 Posts
Temecula sounds good. IIRC we did a drive with Durk leading -- when we lost a couple of attendees.
Yeah, that was strictly speaking Fallbrook (west of I-15), not Temecula (east of I-15). Probably closer for everyone in terms of getting there. I'd be happy to lead the way through either area. I'm pretty familiar with the roads.

In general with all of these twisty roads there'll be more traffic the later in the day you go, but it should still be fun at any rate.

ATV's on the beach sorta: I think you can rent ATVs and ride the sand dunes near the beach in Pismo Beach (I did it in 2005, so not sure what the last 5 years have brought to the dunes and regulations).

Also there is an official off-roading state park right off I-5 near Gorman, and some rental places nearby.
Either of those places are really far away for me (more than 5 hours each way for Pismo), so.. yeah.. I'm fairly sure that Matt wants to test the 55 a bit on this meet, so maybe we should shelve the beach ATV thing for a later meet. The Pismo Beach idea would probably have to be a multi-day thing for me, hanging out somewhere half-way the night before and after. Sounds like a lot of fun though!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
maybe we should shelve the beach ATV thing for a later meet. The Pismo Beach idea would probably have to be a multi-day thing for me, hanging out somewhere half-way the night before and after. Sounds like a lot of fun though!
Agreed. Would only make sense for this one if it was close, but otherwise I'd leave it for an extended trip, maybe it could be one of the events in a two-day meet driving up the PCH to Cambria, could also fit a Hearst catle tour, drive up the mountains, etc... sorta like an SLKWorld California retreat...? Maybe even meet up with the guys in NorCal... :hijacked:

Back to THIS meet, I'm good with the time and date, not picky about what we do.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Agreed. Would only make sense for this one if it was close, but otherwise I'd leave it for an extended trip, maybe it could be one of the events in a two-day meet driving up the PCH to Cambria, could also fit a Hearst catle tour, drive up the mountains, etc... sorta like an SLKWorld California retreat...? Maybe even meet up with the guys in NorCal... :hijacked:

Back to THIS meet, I'm good with the time and date, not picky about what we do.

I should have been more clear: I wasn't suggesting Pismo for the 27th (I can't even make the 27th), rather just trying to answer the question of where you can ride ATVs near the beach. I am up for a future multiple day weekend outing that includes any combo of Pismo ATVs, Cambia, Hearst Castle and driving through Big Sur. Sorry to hijack the Nov 27th thread further....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Shoot! I forgot this is thanksgiving weekend...I'll be in Seattle saturday...can't do a run on this weekend unless it's on Sunday after 12...wanted to show you the Beemer :(

·
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sunday's fine with me as well!

·
4,926 Posts
I'm cool with Sunday. Here's a route suggestion that would be convenient to get to for OC folks, via the Ortega Highway, which itself is a very nice drive. We could snack in Palm Springs and then head our separate ways, or make it a full loop back to Romoland.

A proposed meeting place could be the parking lot by the Chinese restaurant that's inside a train caboose. It is right here. If I recall correctly there's a little kiosk in the same lot that serves coffee.

I think I have the following folks for Sunday, Nov 28th. Can we make the meet-up point by 1pm? This depends mostly on David I think since he had time constraints on Sunday.

Tentative roll-call:

1. Cyberdrakon
2. Bleen
3. Davids88keys
4. slkluv
5. noober
6. Durkatlon

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I'll be out of town on the 27th, doing the Thanksgiving thing. I'll meet up with you guys again at some point.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think I have the following folks for Sunday, Nov 27th.
Mildly confused (or I can't read a calendar): I have the 27th as a Saturday and 28th as a Sunday. I definitely cannot make Saturday the 27th, but I might be able to make Sunday the 28th if the start time isn't too early.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts