Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
* Registered
Looking for an SLK
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I'm looking to purchase a used SLK (preferably SLK 250). Have been scouting around on the net (truecar, carmax, carvana, ...etc) for an ideal pick. It appears to me that most of the cars I saw recently are from the year 2012-2013, there is very few 2014-2016 cars available in my area (Northern California). Not quite understand why this is the case. Is there a seasonality factor in it? Meaning that as the summer is around the corner, more newer model would show up on the market?

Anyhow, I stumbled upon a 2013 SLK 250 with 60221 miles. 10K/year milage looks okay to me, as my average driving milage per year is also less than 10K. However, for a SLK, would this be a bit too high? Or it's fine if the car is alway on schedule for service/maintenance? Thanks

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,022 Posts
Get a r171 55 :D and have a lot of fun!

·
Administrator (UK)
34,845 Posts
That's only 7.5k/yr. I'd rather have a used (and that is not over use) well maintained car vs a low mileage, never service car.
Suggest that either the car seldom stands unused, or does some long journeys.
Long spells unused mean that first start has no lubrication in the engine.

Mine is my daily driver and covers between 7.5-10K a year.

·
* Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,011 Posts
You can check the yearly sales figures, a lot more cars sold the first years.
It's a difficult used car market, I'm looking for an SL63 and stock has all but disappeared.
The SLK is a 'simple' car that will have pretty good reliability, mine is now up to 100k and apart from 1 headlight it's all been routine service (including minor suspension).

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
106,022 Posts

·
* Registered
Looking for an SLK
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Off-topic:
Thanks @jbanks15 very interesting data. I made a few figures so that it is easier to view the trend (figures are plotted on the same vertical scale). I break the data into three groups: R171, R172 (Pre-SLC) and R172 (SLC).

It appears that the most popular car in the US (in terms of sales volume) is R171 between 2005-2006. The average unit per year drops quite significantly from ~1000 to the range of 200-400 units beyond 2007 model year. There appears no seasonality in sales.

I wonder what caused the huge sales spike of 2011 R172? 4th of July promotion?

·
106,022 Posts
There you go then! r171 55! :D

·
* Premium Member
No SLK
16,445 Posts
I just pulled up Car Gurus and there are only 388 Slk/Slc for sale Nationwide. Sure does not give you a lot of options if you looking for a special color etc etc

Check with your local chapter or surrounding area of the Mercedes Cluf of America they also have a for sale section also Hemming motors sometime Slk show up there too

·
Super Moderator
2013 SLK350
2,194 Posts
Summer is around the corner and re-sales of open top convertibles tend to dip or they get picked up pretty quickly. Your best bet is to keep multiple auto sales feeds (Cargurus, AutoTrader, EBay, etc.) alerts so you can grab one that meets most of your needs.

If buying an R172, make sure to buy MY2013 and newer... 250 is the lowest model and the highest seller, so that will crimp the market even more for you. May want to consider a 350 as well, just for the heck of it.. Whichever SLK/SLC you purchase, make sure it has the bi-Xenons.

Good luck

·
* Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG
222 Posts
Took me a year or so to find mine.
MB of San Jose
Hard to deal with, no wheeling and dealing and I was about 3rd or 4th on the list but I had cash and cash talks bs walks
Had to order a 2nd key and search for owner books but well worth it
Enjoy the search, then the reward of miles of smiles

·
* Registered
Looking for an SLK
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very insightful comments, thanks guys. Patience will pay off, that's the take home message.
I have to admit that after watching many review videos from Youtube and member photos from slkworld, you're kind of in the state where you just want to pull the trigger without thinking too much.....😅

·
* Premium Member
2019 SLC 300 Black on Black
2,701 Posts
Convertibles become more in demand in the summer. I picked up 2019 250 in January. Using Carfax values it has gone up in value in 6 months to the tune of $3,000. First time I ever bought a used car and see the value go up.

The 172 the first 3 years around 4,700 each year sold in the USA, after that it drops around 600 per year until the last 3 years it was down to 2,000 per year in sales. The newer the 172 less are available in the USA.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,027 Posts
The engines are pretty bulletproof if properly serviced. At 60k you’ve gone past any recalls and any early niggles have been sorted. So, if it’s been properly serviced, you have few worries.
You don’t say why you want a 250, but do test drive a 350, if you haven’t already. Good luck.

Oh, and groovy graphs btw.

·
Super Moderator
2013 SLK350
2,194 Posts
MPG will depend largely on your driving style. On my 350, I am a self-acknowledged aggressive driver and in 4+ years and over 80K miles of driving it, my car computer says I am doing 24.5 MPG. Dunno if that computer readout is accurate or not bcos I have never bothered to track my actual MPG, I just refill the tank when it is low and drive on :p

·
* Premium Member
No SLK
16,445 Posts
Does anyone buy on repair ratings?

RepairPal gave the Mercedes-Benz SLK350 an overall reliability rating of 3 out of 5 stars, which RepairPal describes as Average. This rating ranks the Mercedes-Benz SLK350 10th out of 17 among luxury compact cars.
  • Cost RepairPal reports that the average total annual cost for repairs and maintenance on a Mercedes-Benz SLK350 is $808, compared to an average of $765 for luxury compact cars and $719 for all the vehicles RepairPal considered in its dataset.
  • Frequency According to RepairPal, Mercedes-Benz SLK350 owners bring their vehicles into a repair shop for unscheduled repairs an average of 0.6 times per year, compared to an average of 0.7 times for luxury compact cars and 0.5 times for all the vehicle models RepairPal considered in its dataset.
  • Severity RepairPal reported that the probability of a repair being a severe or major issue is 14% for the Mercedes-Benz SLK350, compared to an average of 12% for luxury compact cars and 13% for all the vehicles RepairPal considered in its dataset.
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010-2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features.

Reactions: fermion

·
* Premium Member
No SLK
16,445 Posts
This one just popped up on my Guru Watch List miles are low for the year but it shows 3 owners.

If I would be in the market for another Slk I would buy this one It get's the same MPG as my Toyota Tacoma and people will not ask me to move "Stuff" all the time.

·
Registered 2007 SLK350 From San Rafael, California
85 Posts
MPG will depend largely on your driving style. On my 350, I am a self-acknowledged aggressive driver and in 4+ years and over 80K miles of driving it, my car computer says I am doing 24.5 MPG. Dunno if that computer readout is accurate or not bcos I have never bothered to track my actual MPG, I just refill the tank when it is low and drive on :p
Just went San Francisco to Auburn and back with my 07 350 speeding all the way and got almost 28mpg. I checked that with my own calculation of gasoline bought, miles covered. All driving with roof up. I think thats pretty good even allowing for small error. BTW, I have 60k on mine now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts