Mercedes SLK World banner

Northern California (SF Bay Area) Repair Shops

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  slickBenzGirl 
#1 ·
I vaguely recall seeing an auto repair thread for collision repair somewhere here. I looked everywhere on search etc for atleast 1/2 an hour but couldn't find anything. Wondering if it's on MBWorld if it's not here.

Got hit by a minivan this morning at 8:40am - passenger door damage and rocker panel dmg as well - might be mirror dmg also as it was folded in when i looked at the car.

There's a place called Capitol Collision and Repair here in SJ but wanted to see what other options there were.

Thanks!

#2 ·
#6 ·
SBG, I'm sorry to hear about your baby getting hit. Better the car than something really important. Glad you are ok!

Call Eurotech below in San Carlos. I know you are in the south bay but they are worth the 25 minute drive. Mercedes Benz certified paint line, only use M.B. or german paint. The paint line is imported from someplace like Sweden (per Mercedes Specs.) and has this awesome heppa filter that is totally dust free.

Their prices are very fair. Mention this forum and tell them Steve sent you and you will get a discount for sure. I have mentioned them several times, and several members have then used them, all very happy with the end result.

My car just got out of there and it is beautiful. The paint match was so perfect they even stayed off the bonnet. That's how good these guys are!

Owner is Mike, General Manager is George. I promise you, you won't be unhappy.

Oh, one other thing. I have used them twice for modifications. Both times they tended to be a little slow. They know me well and know that this car is not my daily driver. I think that they have a tenancy to push the daily drivers through faster, so tell them that you use the car on a daily basis.

While you are there, take your husband and go next store though San Francisco Sports Cars. But make sure you leave your wallet in your purse or you just may be buying ANOTHER toy.

Eurotech
171 Industrial Rd.
San Carlos, CA 94070
Tel: (650) 654 - 6805
Email: info@eurotechco.com

Reactions: slickBenzGirl
#8 ·
well gee - I wanted to get everything done so fast... I'd hate to have to start all over again with setting things up and switching things around. The dealer uses Pan American ... I still may require more work done ... ended up getting concrete bumper rash on the underside of the front splitter that needs to be taken care of. Part of getting into a collision happens to be a change in the normal decision-making process. This is my daily driver, and I just need to get everything taken care of. Pan American mentions they are also certified with BMW, Audi, Porsche (all the other German manufacturers) - so they can't be all that bad.

I will see what happens. If things fall through, I will definitely try your referral.

#7 ·
... taking my SLK to this location...

Pan American - they have a place in Los Gatos near where I work. My insurance company needs to do a field appraisal prior to the collision repair shop doing their own assessment. Scheduled the field appraisal for Wed/Th timeframe this week and repair shop appraisal for this Fri.

I'll keep an activity log active for the activity done on the SLK.

#9 ·
****! I am so sorry about your
accident. I had a garbage truck scrape my SLK in Castro Valley and forced them to make the repairs! I was not a happy Camper then! Best wishes and put the hammer down to make sure they do it right and a complimentary car equal to the SLK Value which you normally drive, not just a Corolla or cheaply built car.

#10 ·
Do not just settle for where they want you to take your SLK car to insist you will pick the repair shop not the insurance company and demand it!

#13 ·
i went with choosing a company that was not recommended by my insurance company. My honey recommended that I find out where the dealer sends their cars. He's resting right now due to his arm, but when he wakes I will ask him about the other place in Fremont.

The other driver tried to change lanes into my lane - it was a double-R-turn lane (2 adjacent lanes both turning off an exit ramp onto the secondary road). Light was green, I was in the L-hand R-turn lane. The other driver was in the R-hand R-turn lane. I made the R-hand turn into the far L-lane of the secondary road then all of a sudden, I see the L-front corner of a huge gold-colored vehicle in my passenger window and felt the car buck with the impact.

I can't speak for the other driver but she was trying to get into the L-most lane from the lane to the R-of me. She stated I was in the L-turn lane rather than 1 of the R-turn lanes and made a R-hand turn from the L-turn lane. She did say she was trying to get over into my lane.

My intention was to make a R-turn off the exit and get into the far L-lane. I always use the L-hand R-turn lane when attempting to get into the L-most lane of the secondary road since trying to get in that lane from the R-most R-turn lane is close to impossible crossing over traffic from the other lane. I was fully in my lane when my vehicle was struck. It is my understanding that a vehicle that is in a lane has the right of way of that lane. Any vehicle changing lanes has to yield the right of way.

Irony is that I'm a health care provider and every now and then work on MVA (motor vehicle accident) personal injury cases.

#14 ·
@ Stinger I love the pictures of your SLK! It is really cool!

Reactions: Stinger
#15 ·
update: my insurance company did a field estimate on the damages... (taking the SLK in tomorrow for body shop estimate).

Major repair is to replace R-passenger door. Rocker panel was damaged as well. They listed some other stuff where they had to inspect a lot of things to make sure nothing else was damaged (add time for labor for removing and reinstalling the parts after inspection).

Total incl parts/labor/etc was about $4.2K. Waiting to hear back for at-fault liability, which should be the other driver, as my vehicle was fully in the lane I was traveling when it was struck by the other vehicle trying to enter the same lane.

#17 ·
UPDATE ...

Bodyshop found more stuff wrong w my SLK due to the effects of a minivan being slammed into the side of my beloved ride...

damages are up to ~ $4,900.00 right now (but it's all being paid for by insurance... and ultimately, by the other driver's insurance)... most likely I won't get my SLK back until next week!

I MISS MY RIDE!

#18 ·
CONCLUSION of: The Saga of the SLK vs the Minivan

Brief description of the event: Exiting off the freeway and making a R-turn at the light at the end of the exit ramp. There are 2 R-turn lanes onto a 6-lane divided secondary road. SLK in the outside R-turn lane. Minivan in the inside R-turn lane. After traveling through the intersection and onto the secondary road, a minivan suddenly appears in my passenger window and I feel the SLK shudder under the impact.

Damage to my SLK: R-door various creases and dents with several long scratches, R side mirror stem ding, R rocker panel thrashed, R quarter panel scratch that continues from the door. Tire rubber stuck on the R-rocker panel. I was contacted by the other driver's insurance company 1 week after the accident for a statement of what happened. My insurance took my statement the same day of the accident. 2 days later, my insurance company calls to let me know the other party assumes full liability.

Took my SLK to Pan American under the recommendation of the service adviser of the dealer where we bought my SLK. We just asked who they use for body-work. Called Pan American and looked them up online. They're certified by Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Audi as authorized repair center. Pan Am has satellite centers throughout Silicon Valley and I dropped my car off at their Los Gatos location. George from Pan Am was the rep assigned to me at that location. He helped assure me on each of the steps required to repair my car and set up the frequency of updates for me regarding the repair and via what method. He also set up the rental car vehicle as it's part of my auto policy. I was impressed by his professionalism and detail on taking care of my SLK The satellite location was meticulously maintained. Projected time required for repairs was 1 week. I dealt with Nick at the Enterprise rental car office in Los Gatos and they gave me a 2012 Impala 1LTZ (leather interior etc). I think he upgraded me to the luxury midsize car as a courtesy versus a standard one like a Cruz.

When I thought the car was almost finished with repairs, we decided to take a drive down to the main repair location. It is very impressive and was exactly the way it appears in the online photos. Aimee and Enrique were the reps for the main location for my SLK. They both were very knowledgeable regarding the repair work and damage assessment. They answered all my questions to my satisfaction.

Ultimately, they found more items that needed to be fixed/repaired/replaced. The door skin was replaced but not the full door so the inside is still original. They redid the rocker panel and took care of the quarter panel and mirror stem. The supplemental damage that was found and approved for coverage by my insurance company was the clips for the rocker panel needed to be replaced, as well as the fuel door (I think it was slightly bent under the impact and buckling of the door and quarter panel.

When I picked up my SLK today, I was happy with the work that was done. You couldn't tell the car had ever been in an accident and looked like it did when I drove it off the dealer lot. I would highly recommend Pan American in Silicon Valley for any repairs for any of my cars, as they also do work on domestics and imports (both European and Asian). I saw pick up trucks, station wagons, sedans and sports cars there. There was an Audi R8 there being picked up, as well as a few Mercs.

Taking my SLK on a drive to Carmel tomorrow in a group of exotics (Audis, Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, Corvettes). I'm happy again! Almost better than … ummm… well not quite but a few notches from … the top :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.