Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After leaving Glasgow at 5am, I had a great day out in North Wales with some fellow members on Saturday. Blue skies, sunny, great scenery, great roads (some I knew, but some new), and great company. :tu:

Sorry that Debs had to head home early, but that didn't dampen our spirits too much and we enjoyed reasonably quiet roads.

Myk @Avel Du posted some pics here ….. https://www.slkworld.com/united-kingdom/524915-gated-slk-community.html

I had the GopPro running most of the day and have put together a couple of videos ….. Parts 1 and 2 below …. Part 3 to follow.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,387 Posts
Well, thanks for showing us some of that beautiful country! Really great.

One question though: no tunes?? I know Mabel has a lovely singing voice but really? Nothing?

I know when I'm out and about, I have to have some cruisin' music to accompany the rthym of Schwarzie's heart beat :grin:

BTW, I really appreciate the time and effort it took to put those two vids together. Great job?

BTW 2: at the beginning of #1 , I was wondering who was who. Maybe in part 3, you could add a blurb as the person comes into view, name them.

BB is very obvious but the rest of the folks not too much (unless I missed it). Good stuff :rb

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,024 Posts
Well, thanks for showing us some of that beautiful country! Really great.

One question though: no tunes?? I know Mabel has a lovely singing voice but really? Nothing?

I know when I'm out and about, I have to have some cruisin' music to accompany the rthym of Schwarzie's heart beat :grin:

BTW, I really appreciate the time and effort it took to put those two vids together. Great job?

BTW 2: at the beginning of #1 , I was wondering who was who. Maybe in part 3, you could add a blurb as the person comes into view, name them.

BB is very obvious but the rest of the folks not too much (unless I missed it). Good stuff :rb

Early part of vid 1.
Davie passes the crew & then lets the crew back past him.

He tagged username and given name.

In brief:-
Purple is Deb (Bluebadger)
Silver 350 is Pete (Frogfoot)
Silver 170 is Dez (Devilman9050)
Red 55 is Davie (Daveithescaff)
Blue 55 is me, Myk (Avel Du), Master of the late turn, collector of the Dez :D

·
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is part 3. The first half of the footage from a great single track road we discovered. Not enough time available to edit this down to a shorter viewing time I'm afraid (my editing software takes forever), but it's over dubbed with the exhaust note from a rear facing GoPro.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great to see some familiar roads there, been through some of those on two wheels recently, sheer joy in this weather
Can you do me a favour and identify the route in vid 3 please, looks a hoot but don’t recognise it

Cheers

Top tip, give the ponderosa a miss for food and try the Rhug cafe further down on the A5, much better quality food

·
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great to see some familiar roads there, been through some of those on two wheels recently, sheer joy in this weather
Can you do me a favour and identify the route in vid 3 please, looks a hoot but don’t recognise it

Cheers

Top tip, give the ponderosa a miss for food and try the Rhug cafe further down on the A5, much better quality food
The single track road runs between Trawsrynydd on the A470 and Llanuwchilyn on the A494.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=where+is+llanfestiniog&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-gb&httpsmsn=1&refig=1cc05c8bf6734fa3fda695d4cd60c278&sp=2&qs=HS&pq=where+is+&sk=HS1&sc=8-9&cvid=1cc05c8bf6734fa3fda695d4cd60c278&cc=GB&setlang=en-US

Myk and I both said we'd be back to explore this road further! >:D :burnout:

·
26,024 Posts

Cheers

We use the Pondy because of views and location. Plus the out of towners know it.
They've often travelled for a few hours by time they hit the Wirral.

Everyone will pass rhug, but few know where it is.
Huge statue ought to give it away.

·
26,024 Posts
Definitely a route to revisit.

I could not get over the excellent condition of the road.

Only the one pothole, and Pete had the misfortune to find it.

The scenery was a tad distracting, but only added to the pleasure of the road.

Can't believe the bike groups did not have this down for a regular run.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We use the Pondy because of views and location. Plus the out of towners know it.
They've often travelled for a few hours by time they hit the Wirral.

Everyone will pass rhug, but few know where it is.
Huge statue ought to give it away.
Fair enough.......The only downside to the Rhug is getting there via the B5104, now they've put average speed cameras on it:frown:

The Rhug statue reminds of of the place where Birmingham (UK) residents wash their hands:laugh:

·
Registered
50 Posts
The single track road runs between Trawsrynydd on the A470 and Llanuwchilyn on the A494.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=where+is+llanfestiniog&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-gb&httpsmsn=1&refig=1cc05c8bf6734fa3fda695d4cd60c278&sp=2&qs=HS&pq=where+is+&sk=HS1&sc=8-9&cvid=1cc05c8bf6734fa3fda695d4cd60c278&cc=GB&setlang=en-US

Myk and I both said we'd be back to explore this road further! >:D :burnout:
Thanks Davie.........I spotted it after a long session exploring on Google maps, looks a cracker. Most bikers use the A4212 from Bala to Trawsfynydd as it's a beautiful series of wide sweepers and stunning views, I like to mix that up with some of the smaller roads as per the video, nice as a contrast

It's so well known that it's become a cliche now, and a hot spot for speed cameras, but the so-called Evo Triangle is nearby and worth a shot
Take the A543 off the A5, up towards Bylchau and back down to the A5 on the A 4501 along the reservoir.......stunning! Be careful though as there've been fatalities and they don't take prisoners if you abuse it:surprise:

Just south of there is another excellent moorland section, the B4407 via Ysbyty Ifan, a thriller:grin:
Enjoy

·
26,024 Posts
Thanks Davie.........I spotted it after a long session exploring on Google maps, looks a cracker. Most bikers use the A4212 from Bala to Trawsfynydd as it's a beautiful series of wide sweepers and stunning views, I like to mix that up with some of the smaller roads as per the video, nice as a contrast

It's so well known that it's become a cliche now, and a hot spot for speed cameras, but the so-called Evo Triangle is nearby and worth a shot
Take the A543 off the A5, up towards Bylchau and back down to the A5 on the A 4501 along the reservoir.......stunning! Be careful though as there've been fatalities and they don't take prisoners if you abuse it:surprise:

Just south of there is another excellent moorland section, the B4407 via Ysbyty Ifan, a thriller:grin:
Enjoy

Sounds like you have been following Frogfoot and me on some of our runs.
You listed some favourites there.
Although Pete found potholes on the ysbyty run too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tarmac was melting over the moors the weekend before this one, and they'd put stone dust down to try and bind it back together.............since then they've done our old favourite the "wet tar sprinkled with chippings" stunt and we all end up showered in gravel for days

They did the lower stretch of the Horseshoe Pass a couple of weeks ago and it was heavily over-coated, my how amused we were to hear the buckshot rattling around under the arches for over a mile while the local authority Highways team sit back and think how much they've saved by doing a cheap bodge up:crying:

·
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally finished editing my footage of this trip. :smile:

I hope you've enjoyed the scenery and that maybe you'll be enticed to come on one of these runs.

Here is the final part …..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great video sequence Davie, cheers for posting, the V8 burble added a nice backdrop >:D

The "Wallace and Grommit" guest appearance was a surprise - despite the fact that you were "making progress" that showed the need for caution and having a plan should something like that happen. I guess the rider did too as he'd clearly clocked the passing place and had it in mind when he met you guys!

I'm planning a trip up there very soon on two wheels, hope the weather holds out as it's a stonking road

Have fun

·
26,024 Posts
Great set of vids Davie.

The SLK Gods were smiling on us that day.

Light traffic, excellent weather and a hidden treasure of that road.

Add in a bunch of mates.

Perfect!

Apart from the gates and one pothole, that is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts