Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was -17C yesterday, it's been snowing all day, and our 350 has been in storage 6 weeks now (75 days to go??).

So it got me to thinking about spring/summer road trips. Despite the power of the internet, the best site I've found so far is:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/New-York_108.html

Open to suggestions for a long weekend spin in the NY, CT, Vermont area. Ok, even PQ! Perhaps "we" can organize a meet...

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I used to do a lot of layovers in DC and have had the family there once.

I was thinking of a "driving" holiday, ie nice route with some nice places to stop or stay over.

Anyone familiar with the Watkins Glen area? VT CT?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks. I used to do a lot of layovers in DC and have had the family there once.

I was thinking of a "driving" holiday, ie nice route with some nice places to stop or stay over.

Anyone familiar with the Watkins Glen area? VT CT?
Keep going south following the blue ridge parkway. Nice road, plus when you get to NC you can hang a right and hit the Dragon, Moonshiners, and all the other fun roads in that area.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,350 Posts
Just looking at the biker site you posted how about the Seaway Trail down to NY34 to US 20. Cherry Valley Turnpike, east to Cooperstown, Baseball Hall of Fame, and then find a route to take you home.

Have not done this but looks like a nice road trip. Been to Cooperstown nice place for a day.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Hey JJ!!! Check-out GoogleEarth for tasty looking roads, note the towns/cities, and Google those areas. Surely more people on SLKW live in the NE and have NE road/things-to-do ideas. I know nothing of the roads, but Bawwston is full of great sights(and FOOD!!!) and, if you're into the tv show "Cheers", there are(or at least used to be) 5 locations(I was last there in '99).

You could always drive down here and join in on the Sat., June2 Indiana SLK meet. I'd even clean-up the family room so you two could have the hide-a-bed(I think Melinda wouldn't mind, but I will ask, if you're interested)...

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey buddy!! That's what I was hoping for...a little local knowledge from members in the NE. Cath and I are foodies as well, so may check out Guy Fieri's web site (Diners, Drive Ins and Dives) to see what's around.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/index.html

Cath and I were in Baastin with the Goldwing (and trailer) back in the 80's (pre kids) and I've been since on layovers. Nice city and good food to be sure.

Will consider the invitation for June! Now why doesn't Avis/Hertz rent SLKs?!

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
623 Posts
Check out the Phantom Gourmet site, he/she is a restaurant critic in the Boston area.

Route 100 in Vt is nice. Have not done all of it since Irene. (BTW rt 107 was just finished being fixed from Irene).

number of hotels/motels want a 2 night stay if you want reservations. Drive up and if there is room, you can get in for 1 night.

Portsmouth NH is an interesting city. Has Strawberry Banke, a historic section that is a museum.

what kind of sights interest you?
edit. Been to a couple places shown(Diners, Drive Ins and Dives) on that show and wouldn't recommend all of them them

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
623 Posts
Rt 10 through Vt and NH is nice, if it hasn't become a washboard.

Rt 2 in Ma is nice west of Rt 91. Bridge of Flowers in Shelburn Falls Ma is a nice stop.

Sturbridge Village in Stubridge Ma is a recreated 1820's village. Historic houses moved there to create the village.

Plymouth Ma has the Plymouth Plantation, recreation of 1620 Plymouth.

The wineries I've been to have specialty wines ( Hardwick Ma and Nashoba Winery(forget town)

If you go to Oquncuit Maine, go To Barnicle Billy's. Lobster in the rough on the water.

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
623 Posts
thought of this thread and then looked to see if you made a post about a trip, couldn't find one.

Did you get to make that long weekend?

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
623 Posts
Have you been to the top of greylock mountian?

don't think so.

will have to keep that in mind.

edit: came across this in looking up Greylock

Mountain Drives - 5 Scenic New England Mountain Drives

been to a couple of these. Prefer the cog railway for Mt Washington.

edit: up your way yesterday, rt 125 to 16 to 154? back road to Wolfboro where we had a strawberry crepe. then down 28 to 4 t0 125 (should have tried 152 from 4 to 125.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Never been to the bridge, in fact i haven't been on rt2 in years. We always take rt 101 into Keene then over hogback mt when we goto the Berkshires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts