Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001 SLK320, not sure of the blue color but my mechanic says it is a California car because that color wasn't available east of the Mississippi river. (sounds good)

I do a lot of work on my road bicycles, and would like to being working on the SLK, too!

My biggest problem is a wobble in the steering/ride between 65-72 mph, so I always try to drive 80 except in school zones. New tires, new brakes, straightened rim, new wheels... still there.

Advice welcomed!

jc

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
11,254 Posts
Hi Jeff, and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro! :)

The vibration may be caused by either wheel setup (balancing, tracking, alignment etc.), or possibly suspension. You haven't mentioned what checks you've already done, so difficult to advise further at the moment.

Don’t forget to lube those seals:
Mods you should think about doing to your SLK:
Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
  • Post your VIN (or VIN of a car you're looking at) in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on the car).
    FREE!! How to get a free data card!
  • If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
  • If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
  • Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If iPhone/iPad pics, you can only attach 1 pic per post this way as iOS names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
  • Want to 'like' or 'thank' someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any individual’s post that you like. This saves you having to comment.
  • New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link in the info bar towards the top of the screen is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
  • Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
  • Finally, the Picture of the Day section is guaranteed to have something to make you smile each weekday morning!
Thank you
Dave

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,757 Posts
I've got a 2001 SLK320, not sure of the blue color
Welcome from another 'very blue' SLK 320 owner in Surrey, in the UK.

As to the lesser of your issues in yoru intro post, if you pass your VIN to one of the moderators on this fine forum they should be able to confirm the build sheet for your SLK - and on that sheet should be the colour code for the car as delivered. Mine, for example, has the line

Sales designation: SLK 320
Order number: 0 2 569 00106
Delivery date: 11 01 2002
Paint code 1: 372U LAZULITHE BLUE - METALLIC PAINT

Hope this helps!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,902 Posts
Welcome from Canada Jeff :grin:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,404 Posts
Hi JC,

Welcome from Wirral, England.

It's always best to keep advice requests separate from intro's.
Not everyone reads intro's, but a well titled advice request such as
'SLK 2001 320 steering wobble-Help please' may get noticed by the wise folk who have dealt with the problem before.

But why wait?
The site search is pretty good.
Just start your search with 'SLKWorld.com' and something similar to the hint above.
That gets you this:
SLKWorld is a premiere Mercedes-Benz owner website offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz SLK R171, R172 and R170 Model Cars including ///AMG information and SLK Repairs anywhere in the world - Search Results for SLKWorld.com 'SL

Hopefully, that may help resolve your problem.

Some of us here have a fondness for blue (wonder why? :D )
If you post a reply with 3 photos in this thread you will have entered RoTM for free and may win a prize:
http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/405857-january-2017-slkworld-com-ride-month-competition.html

If you're Mississippi area, these are your regional threads for meets/local info:
U.S. Southeast Region - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
I'd know for sure if your usercp was complete (Last mention, honest).

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK 55 AMG
11,306 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am in Virginia, USA and need to follow up on this wobble. We've ruled out tires (three sets) and brakes (new rotors & two sets of pads) and rims (four new rims and tires as above ) over a period of 6 years or so . We even replaced only front, only rear tires and still no solution. The symptom is three seconds of rumble, followed by four seconds of silence and repeat ad nauseum. When they fixed the bent rim it changed the rumble to a gentle thud like a flat spot on one tire. Also included an alignment.
But the rumble is still with me. A friend at work says "control arm bushings" another suggests motor mounts. My local expert says not motor mounts, but I'm not sure. Drive shaft?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, that was the color on my data card. I checked my bottle of touch-up paint and it matched. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts