Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 SLK. 1/2 mile driveway up a "mountain" and back down to get to the highway.....GRAVEL.......

Ok I go slow and has been no real problem....BUT....

Today, after pulling out on the highway got up to 40 or so and this grinding, popping, scraping noise begins. Almost directly under and behind the passenger seat. Kinda sounds like when we were kids and cloths pinned a playing card so our spokes would make a cool noise........ I drove 20 miles into town with little diminishment or getting worse....Put in the clutch, no change.....Accelerate and the pitch and amount of noise doesn't change. Shift gears no change......On the way back it started when going 40, got better around 70 and up but still there...............

Ok, so put the car up on my ramps......No sticks or anything stuck in the driveline......BUT.....There is a plastic pan, looks like a rock shield under and engine/transmission of a 4WD vehicle or bike.....but plastic.....tapped it and it has rocks/gravel in it. Maybe less than a hand full.....There is a hole in the middle I suppose for water to drain out. I guess it protects the "driveshaft" going over to the right rear wheel or something.

QUESTION....finally.....can anyone think of what might be making this sound????......

How does one remove this pan???.......It is pretty flexible; but afraid to bend it to much. It's held on by a "tab" that seems designed for just this purpose. Removal.....any ideas or thoughts???......

Thanks..................God bless...........Dennis

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
239 Posts
I would check there are no stones stuck between the disc and backplate, a little stone can make an awful noise. On mine the plastic shield underneath the engine is held in by 8 or 10 mm bolts, very easy to remove. The stones should just fall out then.

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK230
569 Posts
If I remember correct the sump guard is held on by some screws and some 10mm nuts.have you checked the propshaft joints and gear ok output flange, don't know if there are any problems specific
to r170's in that area but I was a mechanic in a past life

Reactions: slkDennis

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys......I got under it this morning. The thing is so low I couldn't really work; but it is definitely maybe 4 or 5 pebbles the size of marbles or smaller. I cannot see well enough to get the shroud/cover off. It again, is plastic on the right side under the passenger seat. It is just in front of the driveshaft going over to the rear wheel. The rocks must have been disturbed enough by me banging around on the plastic for as I pulled it off the ramps and went for a ride, the screeching sound is gone.......

So, it must be those rocks inside of that shroud/cover. Any diagrams or such to show how it is held on or fastened???.......Thanks so much for the help.....God bless....Dennis

·
Founding Member 2006
108,942 Posts
parts 90 & 100 are called screening plates. do they look like what u r seeking?

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, Jeff, I really think part 90 is it. Can't figure out the orientational direction of the drawing; but from memory that is it.....I see the holes in the drawings possibly for fasteners.
Is that drawing from someplace that an amateur like myself can figure out how to open and load????

Next time it happens, as for sure there are a few pebbles left in it this drawing will be an aid. Wonder what the pebbles were rubbing against to make like a grinding/rotational type of noise.............Anyway, thanks for the help BUD......

You came through on Vet Day, so as one to another, "this round's on me when I see you at the club"............God bless........Dennis
Dennis K. Darrow, SSG ret.
US Army Security Agency
1965-1975

·
Founding Member 2006
108,942 Posts
Thanks Dennis, I would think 90 was on driver's side and therefore 100 would be on passenger side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.