Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have lost the voice announcements on the Navigation system and the Driver Alert indicating exceeding the speed limit.

All boxes are checked in the required places to have all the voice announcements.

Repeat of Last Direction works perfectly ok but no voiced directions while navigating a route.

Read the books till I am tired :nerd:

Help needed ..... Please!!

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,116 Posts
I would say reboot the car.
Others will chime in

you do know how to reboot your car right?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,116 Posts
disconnect the battery or remove the neg cable for a minimum of 30 mins
reconnect battery
reset clock and reset/synch windows
try and see if what was not working is now working

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
disconnect the battery or remove the neg cable for a minimum of 30 mins
reconnect battery
reset clock and reset/synch windows
try and see if what was not working is now working
Well for sure that will reboot the computer.
Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
You have to watch what you're doing with volume controls.
For each sound function in the car the volume is controlled independently.
So for Radio, Music, Traffic Alerts, Navigation and Telephone the volume can be set at different level for each one.

You set the volume during the moment whatever sound is operating at that time.
So, if the radio is on and an irrelevant Traffic Alert breaks through causing you to reduce the volume of the Traffic Alert then for every TA after that the volume will be reduced. You may think all is fine because the radio is happily singing to you but Traffic Alerts will be whispering until you raise that TA volume again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to watch what you're doing with volume controls.
For each sound function in the car the volume is controlled independently.
So for Radio, Music, Traffic Alerts, Navigation and Telephone the volume can be set at different level for each one.

You set the volume during the moment whatever sound is operating at that time.
So, if the radio is on and an irrelevant Traffic Alert breaks through causing you to reduce the volume of the Traffic Alert then for every TA after that the volume will be reduced. You may think all is fine because the radio is happily singing to you but Traffic Alerts will be whispering until you raise that TA volume again.
So where do I find the menu option to set the volume of each service?

I have searched and searched again but cannot find any menu link leading to anywhere to set the volume.
Thios car is great, but this menu system and the access for easy setting a destination with the navigation system is so very poor and so backward.
My Ford system is so much better and so much more usuable!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm at work and at far remove from home. Can't get to the car to check for you.
I can't recall any menu listing for the various volume or muting controls.

Of course there must be something to reset all back to 'normal'.

Just try switching the system off / on from the head unit main button.

Else, disconnect main battery as above.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The volume fgor the nav announcements and radio are both handled by the same single volume knob -- if you turn the volume down during a nav voice announcement, then the volume stays down, even though the radio is perfectly loud.

Make sure its not just a question of increasing the volume knob during an announcement before rebooting the car!

Although if you can't hear the announcements, how do you know when to turn the knob? Hmmm

Best suggestion I can come up with is that even when I turn down the volume to minimum I can still ehar the radio playing really faintly. Maybe test out the nav voice commands in a very quiet environment with the engine off......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The volume fgor the nav announcements and radio are both handled by the same single volume knob -- if you turn the volume down during a nav voice announcement, then the volume stays down, even though the radio is perfectly loud.

Make sure its not just a question of increasing the volume knob during an announcement before rebooting the car!

Although if you can't hear the announcements, how do you know when to turn the knob? Hmmm

Best suggestion I can come up with is that even when I turn down the volume to minimum I can still hear the radio playing really faintly. Maybe test out the nav voice commands in a very quiet environment with the engine off......
Thanks for the suggestions.

When I use the navigation onscreen button which reads something like "Repeat Last Instruction" the last guidance instruction plays at a normal, very audible, volume.

I called the MB dealer and he says I don't have the navigation sound set correctly.
I must say as a writer of software, and being both a qualified electrical and mechanical engineer, for sure I have the system set up to play the voice announcements.

I have 6 cell phones paired in the Bluetooth system! [Yes, I know that 6 is a lot but we use each and every one for different business's]
Will I lose the pairings if I disconnect the battery and reboot the car?

Thanks to all for helping this SLK350 newbie drive this horrible MB/Becker system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
agree on trying the volume controls - use the nav's RPT function and crank it up.
mine was set so low I couldn't hear it... i could hear the music fade out and then back in when a nav notification should have been playing, but then nothing, it was effectively muted

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.