Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year about his time I was having issues with my 1999 slk230 turning over but not starting. After reading several posts, I concluded that checking the K40 would be a good idea. I pulled it and checked the solder joints and the relays and they seemed ok to the eye. I did check the notorious 3 joints in the upper left hand corner under magnification and saw no issue. After several other check I ordered and replaced the K40. The car started right up and ran well all summer into the fall. The car was stored in October. I removed the negative terminal on the battery for the winter. This spring I reconnected the battery and the car started right up. It ran a little rough for a couple of minuted but soon smooth out and I took it out for a spin around the block, approximately 3 miles. Later that month I drove it to an errand and the exhaust pipe flange connection let go under the drivers seat. This was at the same time as coverd-19 stay at home orders happened . I could not get the exhaust fixed until the garage that I use was reopened. 2 weeks ago, May 4 the garage reopened and I made and appointment for May 15. The day before I tried to start the car and it did nothing. Dash lights are all on and nothing seems to dim when I turn the key to the start position. I first checked the battery and it was a little low, 12.34V. I charged it to full,13.4V and still no start. I then remembered the K40. Pulled it out today and checked it, it appears to be good. I have reset the throttle sensor doing the 3 minute drill. Now I'm stumped I may be the K40 but I don't want to replace it just for the sake of replacement. I am attaching a pic of the K40 solder side. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
654 Posts
As you're aware, the K40 is a common problem. However, if it's the K40 that is preventing the car from starting it's usually accompanied by the cooling fan running full speed when you turn the ignition on. If that happens then you could be reasonably confident it's the K40 that's the problem. If not, it could be all sorts of things. Does your digital display in the instrument cluster come up with a message when you try and start it. Do you get 12v on the starter when you try and start it. Are you confident your battery is good - just because it shows 13v doesn't necessarily mean it's OK when you try and draw a heavy load from it. Maybe get it tested (load test). Car not starting after storage, battery would be the first thing to check.

It wouldn't cost anything to try your old K40 back in there. At least it was turning over then and that would eliminate a few things.

A search of the site is always handy.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. I didn't see a message on the instrument cluster. I will check that I'm getting at least 12V at the starter. The battery is new last year and it is a quality battery. Unfortunately I discarded my old K40. One thing that I think is strange is that the key does not seem to move very far from the second position to the start position. It's almost like it is locked out of the start position. Could that actually be the case?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts