Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had my wife's 2002 SLK 32 AMG serviced by our mechanic. One of the things he did was adjust a rattling fan under the dash. He felt safer disconnecting the battery before he worked on it. When the battery was reconnected, the radio said "CODE?"

SO we entered the code and all my wife's radio stations came back and then started playing what ever station she picked.

She went out of town last week and came back on Thursday and turned on the radio, which seems to be working properly, except it makes no sound. IT LOOKS like everything is ok, except no sound.

HELP!

I don't know where to start. I have already disconnected the battery and reconnected it and then re-entered the necessary code. It appears something just 'stopped working'.

I don't know what. It is a AM/FM/Cassette radio that is original to this car. It has worked great until now.

HELP!

I'm open to every suggestion and will try anything.

HELP!

jim

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,295 Posts
how long was battery disconnected for? i usually say 30 mins.

·
103,295 Posts
you check the fuses?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,776 Posts
Possibly the speaker connector at the rear of the radio isn't properly plugged in , it may have been dislodged whilst doing the work ...

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll start this evening and try disconnecting the radio for AT least 30 minutes and then connect and enter the code for her radio. I will also check the fuses at that time.

Thanx

BTW, if your vehicle is registered WITH MB via their website, and it is the original radio in the car, you can get your radio code from their website. You must register your car with the correct VIN, but they will provide the radio code free of charge.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK,

I removed the battery for about an hour. I plugged it back in. Entered the code for the radio. BUT for whatever reason, still no volume.

Checked all the fuses. No blown fuses, still no radio.

Next I guess will be to be pull the radio out and check connections at the amplifier.

Also, does anyone have the fuse box labeled by number by location? Maybe with what it powers - like "radio"?

THX

jim

Reactions: jbanks15

·
103,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeff,

Thx. I went back and double checked all the fuses that have ANYTHING to do with the sound system. That's when I noticed that the list you sent me is on the INSIDE of the fuse box. DOH!

Started the car. Still no sound. So, on to the hardware installed in the car.

Can't thank you enough.

jim

Reactions: Idiot101

·
Registered
361 Posts
it might be that the bass, treble, fader (f&r, no speakers on rear but faded to rear only?) etc. are turned down. the radio is obviously powering up, 'cos you put the code in. so maybe settings are turned down. also make sure it is on radio as source not 'aux' or similar.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, tried the 'front/rear' fade. It's fine.

So, I guess that leaves either wiring that has come loose between the stereo and the power booster (amp).

I'll let you know what I found next.

Does anyone have an amp for sale that I could replace this one with if it's toast?

jim

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine and the dealer pulled out the radio and I guess from the serial # looked up 2 other codes for me beside the one that I had and said to try the others but it may take any where from 15 minutes to 24 hours before resettng. and low in behold the last one have game me and after a over night the next day it ask me for the code and I out it in and now all is well...

jnc 1948

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the stereo CODE has worked every time. I just get no sound.

In looking at the amp on fleabay, there is one plug and a fuse. Hopefully I will be able to remove the stereo and find either the wiring harness has wiggled loose OR the 20A fuse is blown.

If not for around $100 I can probably find one to replace it with. We will see.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Speaker wiring has probably been loosened or cut. Normally you have two plugs into radio from car - one for main power (red) / memory (yellow) and the other plug/connector goes to the speakers. Could be your blue and white wire is loose from back of stereo which will mean no amp, possible loss of sound. Maybe your radio has had it. Caput.
Need to pull it out and have a look. While you're at it, chuck it in the bin and buy a decent one with Bluetooth connectivity and stick that in instead. It's pretty simple to do, just takes a bit of patience. :grin:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, if the radio is bad, I will find a used one just like this one and replace it. Same for the amp. The wife LIKES what she has.

I'll post some pix when I'm done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.