Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks @Dave2302. So I guess the fact that it’s the original cover is a pretty good indicator of the fact that a service hasn’t been done, so I’ll get it done when I’m flush (pun intended).
The cover is black, which is as it should be - it's the locking tab that is red (the red oblong on your cover) this would normally indicate that a service has been done.

See the photo below for an R170 tranny service kit. Note the red tab.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200 Komp 'Silkie Growler'
397 Posts
The cover is black, which is as it should be - it's the locking tab that is red (the red oblong on your cover) this would normally indicate that a service has been done.

See the photo below for an R170 tranny service kit. Note the red tab.

View attachment 572001
Amazeballs! How wonderful. 😊

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,715 Posts
I thought you just filled it up until it started to come out of the level hole and that was that.
Depends entirely upon which transmission, 722.6 are Dipstick / Filler Type ;)
ALL except the likes of a CVT Trans are done Engine idling in Park, some warm, some cold ;)

@savcom

I'm no gambler, but I'd bet that 500ml will be what your problem is, IT DOES AFFECT THE ENGAGEMENT ON A VERY COLD MORNING , due to the fact it clings and doesn't get back to the Tranny's Sump quick enough until it warms up a little.

HTH,

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K, 2001 SLK320
1,488 Posts

Normally ;)

Level-Checked for sure, those red tabs can be bought separately or part of a kit or with the dippy such as - THIS -

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I visited my ailing father today so I took Silkie on an extended 300mile road trip in the pouring rain... I tested changing into reverse a few times in the first two miles and no issues whatsoever.

When scootling along, normal gear changes were fine. I even tried manual gearchanges (moving the selector knob left and right while the selector is in D) and again, no issues.

We have Storm Dennis over our shores tomorrow and Sunday so there'll be no timkering with the cars. This means I won't be able to check the level until next week.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,715 Posts
I'm quietly confident, and very glad to hear that (y)

FWIW another symptom of the same low oil level fault is on a cold morning, drive off a few hundred yards, stop abruptly, (at a junction f.e.), and they drop out of gear ;)

Again they are fine when warmed up ;)

HTH,

41 - 47 of 47 Posts