Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did you mean the type of dipstick? If so, I believe there are two types. One, the so-called MB dipstick has a step at the end part that stops it going too deep into the pan. The other, a generic dipstick, doesn't have this step and so goes slightly deeper into the gearbox.

This diagram should help explain things:

Sent from my phone when my back was turned.

·
Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
217 Posts
Did you mean the type of dipstick? If so, I believe there are two types. One, the so-called MB dipstick has a step at the end part that stops it going too deep into the pan. The other, a generic dipstick, doesn't have this step and so goes slightly deeper into the gearbox.

1. Very helpful, but the rooster said three types....needs clarifying really before I start digging around to see if mine is the correct type for my gearbox:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K, 2001 SLK320
1,491 Posts

.. and I have no idea where I originally got this from but it looks remarkably like a part of @savcom 's diagram

Transmission Dipstick.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi to you all following this somewhat intriguing subject !!

I was told before I bought my current SLK 230 when a car that I went to view/test drive would not move when 'D was engaged,the dealer clearly wanted my very low mileage BMW 325Ci Convertible for his wife as she was not comfortable in the SLK 230 Auto - he offered me a PX that was suspiciously high (I initially wondered why then all became clear) after it transpired that the car had been brought back on a low-loader after a transmission issue and deposited onto the showroom floor just inside of the entrance,it also had an issue with the electrics on both seats ( a failed relay under the steering column that had been bridged with silver paper !!).

I have been searching the internet for verification of what I was told about the options for a transmission dipstick - it is classed as a workshop tool and and of a specific length for workshop use only.
The notion of 3 different sticks was dependant upon the auto transmission type and the age of the particular variant.

My transmission still had the dipstick seal/plug/cap fitted that had got to be broken before it will allow entry - seemingly very often removed but never replaced after the service has been carried out.

This is what I found :--

Product description
1997 and Later with 722.6 Transmission Many Mercedes Benz vehicles are supplied from the factory without a transmission dipstick. The dipstick is considered a service tool that is used only when changing the transmission fluid and/or filter. This Dipstick is suitable for use with Mercedes transmission type 722.6 Overall length is 1220-mm.

Product Features:
  • For checking ATF level.
  • Applicable: Mercedes models with 722.6 transmission; 1997 thru 2005, or 2006, depending on vehicle equipment.
  • Overall length is 1220mm.
  • Comparable to MB #140 589 15 21 00
  • Equivalent to AST: M 7226

·
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My transmission still had the dipstick seal/plug/cap fitted that had got to be broken before it will allow entry - seemingly very often removed but never replaced after the service has been carried out.
I was told when my tranny was serviced that the black clip on the cap was an 'anti-tamper' clip and designed so that it was a once-only remove operation.

When you get the service kit for the tranny, a red clip is included so that you replace the black one with the red one and it's then clear that the tranny has been serviced.

How true that is I'm not sure, but it explains why black clips are often missing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
@savcom,

I have a similar sort of problem with my 1999 C280 sport, which also uses the 722.6 transmission. If I leave the car to sit for an extended period of time (>~1 week) in cold, damp weather, the transmission doesn't want to shift. If I drive it around for a while, warm up the engine, and warm up the passenger compartment, it seems to work fine again. I still haven't figured out exactly what's wrong with it, but I have two suspicions that may be of help to you. First, there's a unit inside the shift lever that determines the position of that lever. I suspect that mine may be failing under damp conditions. The second possibility is that the TCU is somewhat damp. I have yet to really pursue either thesis, as the transmission can always be coaxed back to normal function by driving it around local streets for a while.

Oh, and while it has never flashed a "check engine" light, I did get an independent MBZ mechanic to run a scan on it, and one of the errors was an intermittent communication error with the dashboard/controls.

I wrote up the problem at benzworld to see if anyone knew what it was more specifically. So far, nothing much of help. But if you want to read my entire post, it can be found here:

Best of luck,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where it's impossible to escape cold and damp this time of year. But warm and damp is around the corner.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
How true that is I'm not sure, but it explains why black clips are often missing.
That is because guys often break them when tugging them out .............

When you have had an intact one in your hand, you can see where the little clips are and simply trim them off, then it can be refitted, the O Ring holds it in and it can thus be removed easily next time, as of course can the red cap ;)

As for the great dipstick debate, the measuring end is the same, the reason there is more than one is that they were originally made to be too long, so they would do all, and then MB made another Car with longer dipstick / filler tube, so there had to be a longer one, these days, as no more new Cars have 722.6, all you need to buy is the longest one you can get your hands on ;)

And I've discussed the 80 degree, don't overthink that, a sensible drive round the block then check it, if you have IR Thermometer or SDS to check TOT then fine, but don't get too hung up on it ;) ;) ;)

Finally @savcom , please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to teach grandma about eggs etc, but just to check .........

You are checking it with Engine idling in P aren't you ????, because if it's not running it will give you a false high reading ;)

HTH

·
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Finally @savcom , please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to teach grandma about eggs etc, but just to check .........

You are checking it with Engine idling in P aren't you ????, because if it's not running it will give you a false high reading ;)
Ha ha, @Dave2302 , no problem. It's always worth repeating. Yep, tested in P with the motor running - and I did also cycle through the gears before doing so too just to give the box something to work on before the measurements were taken. Back to P, settle for a few seconds and readings taken. I'll repeat tomorrow as I'm home then top her up a tad as previously advised.

·
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If no-one's added one, I'll take one of my 320 tomorrow and post it.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,945 Posts
I have a genuine Mercedes Workshop dipstick if we want to compare dipsticks in this thread ;)

Savcom is yours genuine ?
even if trans fluid is slightly low give or take 500ml or .....
gearbox should still engage reverse etc

Temp should be 80 Degrees plus and gears should be selected through several times before taking any readings .

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
are you sure ?
No actually I'm not sure which is exactly why I asked him what Transmission it had fitted !!
FYI I retired from owning an Auto Transmission Building Firm over 13 years ago, right about when 7 G Tronics were in ther infancy, later SLK's do have 7 G Tronic ;)

it’s just an ordinary 200K auto.
is it either of these?
No probs buddy, yes it is the Black one with Red catch ;) The other with all Red round Cap is Engine Oil dipstick, which now don't come with a Dipstick either ;)

HTH,

·
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I have a genuine Mercedes Workshop dipstick if we want to compare dipsticks in this thread ;)

Savcom is yours genuine ?
even if trans fluid is slightly low give or take 500ml or .....
gearbox should still engage reverse etc

Temp should be 80 Degrees plus and gears should be selected through several times before taking any readings .
Yes it came as a genuine MB Dipstick.

Measured it again today - after warming it up, stepping through the gears and allowing about 10 seconds in each gear, definitely at 80° and with engine on and in P. The level was lower than the previous time I measured!!

I've now added 500ml. I did this with an initial 200ml then 100ml at a time, as suggested and it is still showing slightly low (about the same as the photo above) so I'll leave it all to settle and measure again tomorrow night.

It's cold outside too. 🥶🥶🥶

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200 Komp 'Silkie Growler'
417 Posts
No actually I'm not sure which is exactly why I asked him what Transmission it had fitted !!
FYI I retired from owning an Auto Transmission Building Firm over 13 years ago, right about when 7 G Tronics were in ther infancy, later SLK's do have 7 G Tronic ;)

No probs buddy, yes it is the Black one with Red catch ;) The other with all Red round Cap is Engine Oil dipstick, which now don't come with a Dipstick either ;)

HTH,
Thanks @Dave2302. So I guess the fact that it’s the original cover is a pretty good indicator of the fact that a service hasn’t been done, so I’ll get it done when I’m flush (pun intended).

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200 Komp 'Silkie Growler'
417 Posts
Yes it came as a genuine MB Dipstick.

Measured it again today - after warming it up, stepping through the gears and allowing about 10 seconds in each gear, definitely at 80° and with engine on and in P. The level was lower than the previous time I measured!!

I've now added 500ml. I did this with an initial 200ml then 100ml at a time, as suggested and it is still showing slightly low (about the same as the photo above) so I'll leave it all to settle and measure again tomorrow night.

It's cold outside too. 🥶🥶🥶

This dipstick stuff seems extraordinary. I thought you just filled it up until it started to come out of the level hole and that was that.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts