Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,379 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
It's a (British) class thing. My guess is that it's considered incredibly uncool & beneath the dignity of those who own comparatively popular modern cars, however sporting, to wave just because somebody else has the same sort of car.
It's a left-over from Edwardian & Victorian times when it was considered very working class to pass comment on somebody's possessions such as their house or its décor. Studied indifference was the key which still is the rule of thumb even for todays landed gentry & the more vulgar newly moneyed classes.
To be mistaken for an 'enthusiast', the sort of person who 'tinkers' with cars & actually finds them interesting could lead to social alienation.
Waving is best left to owners of veteran vintage & classic cars as they enjoy the chumminess & the classlessness for couldn't care a toss what others think. I seem to recall that owners of VW's had a vulgar habit of exchanging 2 fingered salutes - that was /is very non-U.
However ..... I have very occasionally shared a discreet subtle nod sometimes accompanied by a barely discernible raising of hand off the steering wheel. But a wave? Never.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe tomorrow, with so many SLKs converging on Brooklands, waving could happen, thus restoring your faith in human nature.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,745 Posts
Hi All
I feel your pain about waving when passing another SLK , So if you really need to be waved at I would get yourself a Smart ForTwo we all wave at each other .

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,138 Posts
Whenever possible, we have always waved or flashed headlights at any car (or motorbike) worthy of attention .. in whatever country...and our actions have been well received.

Here in France, on sunny days there are many gorgeous vehicles of all ages and design... dancing along our roads... and most owners are appreciative of one another's pride and joy...and signal accordingly.. makes everyone feel good and gives a feeling of comradeship..

And that comradeship extends to folk stopping to lend a hand to someone who has broken down.. perfect strangers go out of their way to help :smile:.

However, you are so right.. SLK drivers seem to be an odd lot... we have decided that they are all too shy....so .we no longer toot/flash ...it's embarrassing when you are ignored :frown:... but I do make a point of smiling blindingly at the other SLK driver..as we glide past one another.. :grin::grin::grin: Haven't a clue what they think of that.. and I don't care...>:D

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
902 Posts
I was born and raised in NYC. I give the index finger raise and nod of head. Am I elitist?

Reactions: kevf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all the replies

I'll keep on waving and hopefully I might get a wave back one day!!

First two seater I've ever had where other drivers of the same car don't acknowledge you

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've always found bikers (I own a '99 Honda VFR from new) at least nod to oncoming bikes, but usually raise a left hand (the right is holding the throttle). There is also a code for mobile speed cameras that they have just passed....
Makes you feel part of "the family" and protects your licence! Yes, I know you shouldn't warn fellow road users......

Chris B.:smile:

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,609 Posts
Xr2 mk1

All XR2 owners use to wave back in the ,80's but the MK1 was only made for a short time so it was fairly rare.
Here you go anyway:Banane19:

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,609 Posts
I've always found bikers (I own a '99 Honda VFR from new) at least nod to oncoming bikes, but usually raise a left hand (the right is holding the throttle). There is also a code for mobile speed cameras that they have just passed....
Makes you feel part of "the family" and protects your licence! Yes, I know you shouldn't warn fellow road users......

Chris B.:smile:
A Nod used to mean Hello and Road Clear when I was a lad.
I sold my VFR750 (93) last year after 16 years of ownership, so sad, but I enjoy my V8.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bikers are great at waving.......when a bikes behind me I always move to the left and indicate left when the roads clear for them to pass....100% they lift the left hand in thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Over here in the Colonies, I will always wave back at any other cars, when they do the wave first. However, I rarely do the first wave when driving. But also being a motorcyclist, I will do the first wave, left hand down, most of the time when riding. I do find the 'Band of Brothers and Sisters' to be a wee-bit stronger on two wheels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
having too much fun to wave

Hi All
I feel your pain about waving when passing another SLK , So if you really need to be waved at I would get yourself a Smart ForTwo we all wave at each other .

Cheers

Andy
I traded in my smart for my SLK 350. My smart was highly modified and got lots of waves (especially when passing bigger cars). When I drive my SLK, I'm having way too much fun driving to even think about waving. In addition, I live in Southern California, and people get shot for waving at the wrong car on the freeways.

aaaaaal

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.