Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on MB website and decided to build my car again just to see how it would cost this year. However, I was unable to as you cannot choose the diesel anymore. Does anyone know why they have dropped the diesel. Especially as it was the engine choice for most slk/slc sales.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,817 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,817 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
All you can buy now is the 180, 200, 300 and 43 all in AMG line trim.
They have dropped the 'sport' versions as well.
When the SLC came out it still used the older diesel engine which kind of indicates they weren't bothered to upgrade it.
I suspect its part of a gradual phasing out of all the SLC range as indicated in the motoring press.
:frown:

·
Banned
974 Posts
Goodness me that means used values will fall through the floor.
How soon before dealers start getting even more desperate to off-load all the existing stock they are lumbered with?
Personally I wouldn't want to know even at 50% off. Note the posting from an owner surprised at the noise of his 250d & wanting a sporty exhaust to drown the clatter.
The signs that there was no future in diesels were there if you knew where to look, read between the lines & observed the development of more efficient economical cleaner petrol's, hybrids etc well before the current flapping panic stricken planned legislation.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Goodness me that means used values will fall through the floor.
How soon before dealers start getting even more desperate to off-load all the existing stock they are lumbered with?
Personally I wouldn't want to know even at 50% off. Note the posting from an owner surprised at the noise of his 250d & wanting a sporty exhaust to drown the clatter.
The signs that there was no future in diesels were there if you knew where to look, read between the lines & observed the development of more efficient economical cleaner petrol's, hybrids etc well before the current flapping panic stricken planned legislation.
I beg to differ, (well I would wouldn't I), you have to remember that 70% of all SLKs sold in the UK are/were diesels.
And why not, 60 mpg, £30 a year road tax and plenty of poke when you need it!
And that is despite all the petrol head car mags poo-pooing the ideal of a diesel engine in a sports car!
The UK is full of diesel vehicles and the modern Euro 6 diesels are the cleanest yet.
2040 is a long way off!
Long live the diesel!

·
Registered
512 Posts
If there's no diesel in range any more, sale will drop significantly as it was the most popular model and heavily subsidised in past. No company drivers in SLK then. Isn the same engine in other MB models? c-clas 250d, etc?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
If there's no diesel in range any more, sale will drop significantly as it was the most popular model and heavily subsidised in past. No company drivers in SLK then. Isn the same engine in other MB models? c-clas 250d, etc?
Be interesting to see how it effects sales but the range it getting phased out so MB may not be too bothered.
Those who want diesel may well consider the new Audi TT.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,022 Posts
There's more than one view point.

The possibility of prices dropping, at least in the short term, looks likely.

Bad for those with this engine that are looking at future trade in.

If owners are looking to keep the car, then it makes little difference.
I've yet to meet face to face with a smoker who doesn't praise the car,
so maybe there's a few falling into this category.

Those looking for a sports car, that has a fair degree of elegance,
but also is gentle on the pocket, will be on cloud nine.

If the value drops, perhaps the insurance might follow.
I doubt that this would be significant though.

The V8 falls into this cull already.
Prices have not been hurt.
Folk are even predicting higher second hand values.

If you look at the car and think 'smiles', then this is the most important thing
for me. I don't care if mine is worth hundreds, or hundreds of thousands.
It makes me smile and that is all I want from a car.

But where will the SLK/C market go?
Probably not the SL, or they'd own one already.
BMW and Audi look the most likely to gain.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Well you may well be right Avel Du, its started already, see attached pic
Our charming mayor of London has had his way and all pre 2015 diesels are discouraged from poking their noses in central London by a 50% surcharge, grr!
Euro 6 came into being on September 2015.
My 2017 Euro 6 diesel with AdBlue is OK, (for now!)

PS. What does Avel Du mean?

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
If the value drops, perhaps the insurance might follow.
I doubt that this would be significant though.

The V8 falls into this cull already.
Prices have not been hurt.
Folk are even predicting higher second hand values.
I woudn't compare the cull of V8 with diesel one. There's thousands of 250CDI and 250d SLK/SLC around and only around 500 SLK55 R172. No one seems to be bothered with V8 polluting engines at the moment, as everyone is concentrating on diesels.

·
Registered
921 Posts
and only around 500 SLK55 R172.
That's an interesting point, is there a website somewhere that tells us how many V8 172's are on UK roads?, from 2012 to 2016, if the number is low enough I may even hang onto mine :)

And I can already say where all the future SLC owners are going to go, have you seen the new 2018 BMW z4, it looks gorgeous... although it's biggest engine may only be a 3.0 V6, but still..

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,019 Posts
The way things are going with Scotland pushing for no Petrol / Diesel by 2032 8 years before 2040 :surprise:

Id imagine if the SLC is still being made we will have Electric SLC on the road.

mercedes have announced is it 5-7 Mercedes Electric vehicles now.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,779 Posts
The way things are going with Scotland pushing for no Petrol / Diesel by 2032 8 years before 2042 :surprise:

Id imagine if the SLC is still being made we will have Electric SLC on the road.

mercedes have announced is it 5-7 Mercedes Electric vehicles now.
Don't you just love her........ :x

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
Scotland better get a move on its charging point fittings there for 2032.

I cannot think of many worse countries to go lecky... finding a petrol station in Scotland can be trying enough getting a whole new charging infrastructure in place??

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,019 Posts
I cannot think of many worse countries to go lecky... finding a petrol station in Scotland can be trying enough getting a whole new charging infrastructure in place??

Have not been up that way in years .......

But charging points would be a whole lot simpler and easier .
Flat parking bay fancy sign a number of bays and access to 3 phase hell ive even got that in place .

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Be interesting to see how it effects sales but the range it getting phased out so MB may not be too bothered.
Those who want diesel may well consider the new Audi TT.
I believe it's the only option left in the premium coupe/convertible market with a diesel engine. And it's more than 80% of all the sales in that model too.

I can't see how Mercedes Benz UK can make this decision because almost all the R172s in the UK are CDi 250 or 250d models. It was basically the only thing keeping SLK/SLC sales in 4-digit numbers. If it's true (and it seems to be) then there has to be something behind it. Maybe the next big dieselgate scandal is the CDi250/250d? After the Porsche Cayenne fiasco, anything is possible.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts