Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I was parked up at the lights and went to jump the car next to me (yes I know ,very child like behaviour!) and when I put my foot down on the kick down ...the car didn't pick up and engine started to die and had to give it some throttle to keep the engine REVS UP. It ran lumpy and then died on me. started back up and it ran lumpy again, every time I put my foot on kick down the revs die and engine!! can any one help?

Edwin

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,205 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Are you using standard unleaded or super? , buy yourself a cheap OBD 2 reader from ebay cost about £12.00 solved all my problems with one and a bit of patience.
If your using standard unleaded change to super.

Regards Stuart

Just remembered you wont have a standard OBD port.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,751 Posts
Hi Guys

I was parked up at the lights and went to jump the car next to me (yes I know ,very child like behaviour!) and when I put my foot down on the kick down ...the car didn't pick up and engine started to die and had to give it some throttle to keep the engine REVS UP. It ran lumpy and then died on me. started back up and it ran lumpy again, every time I put my foot on kick down the revs die and engine!! can any one help?

Edwin
A scan with das/xentry will be able to tell you any codes and test some components like:
-pedal and pedal in kick down
-knocking noise at full throttle
-maf at full throttle
-lambda in open loop
Just a few components that came into my mind now.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Hopefully I'm posting in the correct forum..........................................

Does this only happen when you push the pedal to kickdown or does it also happen at full throttle (before the kickdown phase)?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it only happens when I kick down ! I have been told that I shouldn't push straight down but I should tap the pedal twice so the gearbox knows that I want to kickdown! is that right? If I push straight down it will confuse the gearbox and it doesn't know what I want to do....would this be right guys??

Edwin

·
97,205 Posts
No tap once or twice
MASH IT! :D

One of the most common inputs into a TCU is the kick down switch which is used to determine if the accelerator pedal has been depressed past full throttle. When activated the transmission downshifts into the lowest permissible gear based on current road speed to use the full power reserves of the engine.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
No tap once or twice
MASH IT! :D

One of the most common inputs into a TCU is the kick down switch which is used to determine if the accelerator pedal has been depressed past full throttle. When activated the transmission downshifts into the lowest permissible gear based on current road speed to use the full power reserves of the engine.
Agreed! there's no reason you cant just push that pedal through the floor as fast as humanly (hulk?) possible.

what happens if you floor the pedal while the car is in P or N?

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Stomp and die sure sounds like either a weak ignition or a clogged/failing fuel pump/filter. Before FI that was also a sign of a failed accelerator pump or a secondary spring set too weak but have computers for that now.

Suspect something is going to show up in the history but an el cheapo scanner may just not cut it. Besides a pre-facelifit 170 needs something with a 38 pin connector.

Does tend to amaze me that someone buying a U$10k- U$20k car is unwilling to spend U$100 to U$150 for a dedicated Merc scanner. Is Autozone able to scan one ?

personally after pulling a scan, next thing would be to put a good fuel pressure gauge on the Schrader connector on the fuel rail. Will idle on 40psi but should have close to 60psi on WOT.

ps lose one cyl on a 230 and it will feel like it fell flat on its face. When stomped does it feel like it is missing or just ded.

·
Banned
84 Posts
I haven't a resolution to your problem but I adjust the slack on the throttle cable/potentiometer so that full throttle is achieved before the kickdown position. This way, if you press to the full throttle position, depending on speed, the car may stay in the gear you're already in or maybe drop one. If you press the pedal past full throttle past the kickdown position then it will almost certainly drop 2 gears. My car initially had the cable adjusted too tight and it would always drop 2 gears whether you wanted it or not.

So, is your problem happening on full throttle or full throttle plus kickdown - or both?

·
Banned
84 Posts
Can't seem to edit this thread - don't tap the pedal twice to downshift - it'll only confuse the gearbox controller - treat it softly and it will reward you - that bring back any memories? :wink:

·
97,205 Posts
Can't seem to edit this thread - don't tap the pedal twice to downshift - it'll only confuse the gearbox controller - treat it softly and it will reward you - that bring back any memories? :wink:
you have 9 posts
you need 15 posts to edit and message other members

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,997 Posts
This rings a bell.

I think this happened to another member last year.
If memory serves, the filter was clogged.

Makes sense to check (don't get cheaper repairs than free).
As lack of air/fuel would starve the engine of power
and your issue is downshift only.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts