Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230/2001 SLK230
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CD changer hasn't worked since I bought this low-mile 2001 SLK 230 a few months ago. I get the "NO CD1" error, then "NO CD2" etc even though there are 3 CDs in the magazine.

On other cars this sort of thing usually turns out to be failed electrolytic capacitors.

Is there a fix for this, or should I just find a used CD changer? What are the compatible units?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,330 Posts
are those cds professionally made/store bought or were they home made?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,330 Posts
if home made, try burning cds at slowest/lowest burn speed

·
Registered 1998 SLK230/2001 SLK230
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't pull up more than a few threads searching laser gel or laser changer. I found another discussion on the optical connector being loose so I cleaned mine. But mine was not loose and the changer responds instantly to commands to change to a different CD. It just can't read the (commercial) CDs.

I bought an eBay unit which arrived with the magazine jammed (there are CDs in it). The seller refunded me. I think I will start by disassembling that one since there's nothing to lose but time. Maybe I can unjam it and it will work.

Update: I followed these instructions to remove the front panel of my ebay unit. Then I saw how to slide the stray trays back into the magazine. The magazine ejected! I tested the unit and it played. I now have the ebay unit in the car and it's working perfectly so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts