Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
*Registered
2002 SLK320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

American spec R170's came with Night Security Illumination, also known as Follow Me Lamps, also known as keeping the lights on for about 30 seconds after turning off the car at night. I would find this feature handy but it is not available with european models.

I was looking on the internet and it seems that if you take the US spec car and code the alarm location to anything else than The US of A, the Night Illumination stops working, the Panic Button (US only thing) on the remote stops working, but everything else still works as expected.

That makes me wonder if it also works the other way. If I bribe the mechanic to set my car alarm to US location, would it enable Night Security Illumination?

Has anyone tried this?

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,566 Posts
Mine is set to Netherlands and does the Chirp(s) upon Arm / Disarm, coded that with SDS, there aren't many other Machines that will code PSE, ATA etc due to needing the HHT Emulator.

I've never tried USA ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,102 Posts
Just bear in mind that lights without the engine drain the battery quicker.
Not an issue for regularly used cars that do mileage. Those whose cars stand, or only do shorter journeys may discharge battery quicker.

Just a thought.

·
*Registered
2002 SLK320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never tried USA ;)
Hopefully someone else could chime in :)

Also, is there some breakup of the available options in HHT-Win for all of the units available in R170? I have a few tiny things that I'm wondering about. I could just browse through all the settings if I had the SDS, but I don't have one. And willingness of local Merc mechanics is…limited. And HHT-Win doesn't have a simulation mode (as far as I know).

·
6,566 Posts
Buy SDS, despite what the Nay Sayer sheep keep bleating it is essential to be able to do this kind of work, and much much more on any MB Car !!

You don't need simulator, just screen shot existing Codings if you want to be belt and braces certain, then fiddle until your hearts content, and if you screw it up you can just return to the settings you photographed and start again ;)

HTH ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5 and Avel Du

·
*Registered
2002 SLK320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If only it was cheaper and if I had more use for it. As of now…not yet…

Last time I needed some settings done it didn't cost me much. But if I knew upfront where to look and what to tell the guy, it would be much easier :)

·
6,566 Posts
Errrrm now I'm confused . com :confused: .........................

You told us how to do it .......................

if you take the US spec car and code the alarm location to anything else than The US of A, the Night Illumination stops working,
Of course I do question that because AFAIK there is no way of the ATA communicating to the Lighting Module to instruct it to illuminate Headlamps, Foglamps, Tail Lamps etc ..............
If we were talking of an R171 SLK upwards then yes, because they have a proper Body CAN I could understand how it will work, the only thing I can imagine an R170 having the Hardware to do would be to illuminate the Direction Indicators for a period, because it already flashes them when Arming / Disarming .................

Next time I have SDS on one of my R170's I'm going to try it, but don't hold your breath, I have plenty else to get finished before I try that ;)

Below is an SDS Screenshot from a UK 2002 SLK 320 which is showing the list of modules DAS sees on this particular Car I read ....

Clicking ATA will take the technician into the ATA automatically using HHT Emulator (HHT-Win), and in there he will navigate to the Version Codings and then set Country to USA ;)
My Cats could do it if they weren't so clumsy on the keyboard with their paws 🤣

Regarding SDS, it will pay for itself many many many times over, and if an owner ever moves away from MB's they can very likely sell it for what they paid for it !!

You are not alone baulking at a few hundred quid, but please believe me when I say that I see folks constantly wasting their money at inept garages, dealerships etc, or playing parts darts to fix an issue, or fitting a module without coding it and then spending time and money chasing a weird issue, the list goes on and on, I see this on a daily basis across the many forums I frequent ;)
Absolutely £1000's are wasted, or they sell the Car, and all because the owner doesn't have the correct equipment.

Liken it to this, using other diagnostic reader type machines on any Mercedes or CAN Bus multi module Car (circa mid to late 90's upwards) is like trying to see and manipulate what is going on in a whole town through the spy hole in that persons front door ;)

It's not just Mercedes, if someone owns a Ford they need Forscan or IDS, if they own a VW / Audi / Seat / Skoda then they need VAG Com etc etc etc.

HTH ;)

·
*Registered
2002 SLK320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Errrrm now I'm confused . com :confused: .........................

You told us how to do it .......................
I know how to change the alarm location, I had different things in mind. Like my seatbelt indicator not lighting up, ever. It used to light up before until someone for some reason did something. Bulb is good. I know there is not a switch in the buckle, it is just a dumb reminder light and it is on the lowest level of my priorities, but I'm curious and can not help myslef :oops:

Of course I do question that because AFAIK there is no way of the ATA communicating to the Lighting Module to instruct it to illuminate Headlamps, Foglamps, Tail Lamps etc ..............
If we were talking of an R171 SLK upwards then yes, because they have a proper Body CAN I could understand how it will work, the only thing I can imagine an R170 having the Hardware to do would be to illuminate the Direction Indicators for a period, because it already flashes them when Arming / Disarming .................
I do question that too. I only know (or at least someone wrote it on the internet…) that it stops working when the US car is configured for Rest of the World (or how the option is called), I don't know if it works the other way round. But I think it would make sense to have the same wiring.

I hope this clears it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts