Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the dessert to our trip through Champagne in September (in a Ford crossover, but happy to report if anyone wants to hear about it).

Cath flew into Toronto Friday night; we departed Saturday morning along the 403 to the Grimsby area. From there we took King Street/Route 81 along the benches (which I believe are old glacial beaches). Leaves were turning and temp was running about 14C - perfect top down weather for the SLK.

First stop was Thirty Bench Winery. http://www.thirtybench.com/ It was just past 10AM and we were the third car in; I now know a different meaning to sticky tires. Poor old Kismet looked like she'd been to a tractor pull. The staff were very nice, super view of the vines and down to the lake. We tried a couple of whites and a couple of reds - all very good, so if you can find this brand in the shops get some.

Nearby is Organized Crime - quirky and very small. Run by a retired veterinarian and his rather vocal wife. We didn't get anything here, but a chat in the parking lot was informative.

Vineland Estates was ok - very commercial, and associated with Kevin O'Leary (big mouth, super rich, has a business segment on CBC). Nevertheless we got a couple of bottles of their white and a bottle of meungier (which is rarely seen alone - used in making of champagne; kind of pinot light..). Big Red Ferrari in the lot though; I made a point of parking across from it, top down, nose on!

Featherstone Wineries was nice, very small. They also do some fruit wines. Again a couple of bottles were jammed into the boot (SLK's rule! 2 rolly bags a couple of gifts and over a case by the time we were done).

Kacab (pronounced ka-sa-ba) was the best next to 30 Bench. We took a couple of fotos of Kismet on their own bailey bridge and will post soon. Great reds. Again a small house. However, while there we got some advice for lunch.

If you're anywhere near the area you have to go to About Thyme, it's just south of Kacab. A very small diner (in the summer there's a deck/patio). We wound up sitting with the couple we'd seen at Kacab (he's ret'd military and trained as a chef, so lots of chat). All the food looks fantastic. We had mussels with chorizo, a ceasar salad with warm goat cheese, and poutine. Now, poutine for y'all and our brit cousins, is usually fries, covered in fresh cheese curds, and topped with brown gravy (thereby melting said curds).

In this case there were double fried yukon gold potatoes, covered in duck confit and aged cheddar, and covered with a foie gras gravy/sauce. Freaking amazing.

As far as accommodation, I recommend staying away from the Casablanca Winery Inn (it is neither a winery nor an inn, but a converted Days Inn by the looks, and over priced) - go to BBcanada.com or Bedandbreakfast.com.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Thanks for posting. I travel to the American side of the Falls a lot, and Toronto is a great city. Nice to know that there's some other things to do there in the summer.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woolly...what are the brown lumpy bits?

Reb...you probably already know this, but the wine region is between Niagara and T.O., north of St Catherines and before Grimsby...

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sightings wise it was a disappointing trip. I meant to get down to Bayfield to meet Dave, but couldn't find the time (rigging Mom's house for winter).
Spotted one SL, a flying wedge (I believe a Lotus), and a couple of Miatas (one top down). The only SLK sighted was actually picked up by the Mrs in Port Hope, an 06 in silver (top up) driven by an Asian chap. Exchanged waves and he followed for a bit but then turned off. No sign of Alto in Kingston...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but oh well. Sounds like you had a really great trip John!
We took basically the same tour back in September. Stopped in St.Kitts to pick up a set of SLK tail lights ($35 for a brand new in box pair, I couldn't pass up - just for spare), visited Inniskillin vinery (it's was founded and owned by a relative of mine) and walked around around Niagra on the Lake for a bit.
Temp was probably around the mid 20's, the top up on the 403/QEW until be got to St.Kitts, picked up the lights and dropped the top for the rest of the trip.

Here's a few shots.

Some clowns on Tricycles in Niagra:

Looking across the channel at the U.S

Me with the SLK at Inniskillin

Christi in the grape field:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Enough is Enough JJ where are the real pictures of the trip, the ones from Niagara on the Lake or have you forgotten that part of the trip? Too much plonk mate.

:Beer:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts