Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else heard this? Has this been confirmed? What will this do the value of the previous SLK generations? Thoughts?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts
ours will be more valuable

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Looks like you will have to wait a bit....not happening until the year 2021. At that point, our cars will considerably older.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts
MK will be driving yours Steverino!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I don't know about more valuable, but it will put a ceiling on the model year that I would consider purchasing. I love my new-to-me R171, but sometime in the far future the time for a replacement may come. And in addition to a must-have manual transmission, a retractable hardtop will always be required. I'll probably be trying to choose between about a dozen SLKs nationwide by then, given the small percentage of stick-shift cars.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I would hate to see the SLK lose its hardtop in the future. It's a very striking and useful feature of the car. The hardtop is very appealing for many folks including myself. Yes, I'm sure it will help lower production costs but we're talking Mercedes-Benz here and not some lesser car mass produced for the budget conscious consumer.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Say it ain't so Joe! If this is true, I'd have to choose another automobile for my next upgrade when the time comes, and that makes me very sad. Hard top or bust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
SLK & SL to lose their Hard tops???!!! I hope this was an april fools joke!!!

:soap:

Today while looking up the latest car news, I came across this article:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/03/next-gen-mercedes-sl-lose-hardtop.html

Seeing how this article was published on March 31, a day BEFORE April 1st, I SURE HOPE THIS IS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE!!!! :tazz: :soap:

I don't know about SL owners, however, one of the reasons I bought my SLK is BECAUSE of the hard-top. If Mercedes does in fact loose the hard top for a soft top, they are losing the one thing that made the SL and SLK unique in their classes.

It may be too early at this point to say, but does anyone know if this is true? :confused:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
johnielee123 "it may be too early at this point to say, but does anyone know if this is true?" I think it is too early to tell. The R173 is a ways off. But here is another interesting development:

A hybrid SLK: http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/4/9/Next-Mercedes-SLK-May-Become-a-Hybrid-7719670

Marketing will spin this all as a good thing in the name of lower emissions and lighter weight. But it is really all about reducing production costs! Most (not all) people I see driving Mercedes where I live (Retired corporate heads living in Palm Springs - Palm Desert) probably bought the car because of it's badge and status - not necessary because of performance. They are likely to continue to buy the updated future SLK no matter the changes. But in fairness to Mercedes, the inspiration for the current SLK line was the 300SL which had a fabric top too. But when I lower the top on my current SLK - it's pure "poetry in motion"!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
From having seen the first articles to the later leaps, it does seem like a big case of chinese whispers where it starts off talking about what could be done with the new shared platform, and ends up with articles making leaps and citing it as fact.

autobild.de is the earliest I've seen - dated march 25th - and using google translate it said this:

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/mercedes-sl-und-slk-vorschau-5039597.html

Soft top for the new SL, SLK Klapotop for successor
The retractable hardtop is well received not only in Mercedes customers. Even BMW (Z4, 4), Ferrari (458 Spyder, California) and Infiniti (G60) scored fabric soft top free solutions. Nevertheless, the Stuttgart product strategists argue medium for differentiated roof concepts. O-Ton Sindelfingen: "We will drive future double track The SL we return to the classic folding roof, the ease of use, small footprint and nice design connects.." The SLK reserves the retractable hard top, but gets a sophisticated folding and lowering technology.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
" The SLK reserves the retractable hard top, but gets a sophisticated folding and lowering technology."

It sill sounds like some changes are coming to save production costs (MSA initiative). I wonder if they will do away with the hydraulics and have some manual or 'electric' way of folding and lowering the top? At this point it's just conjecture and guesses...

·
Registered
156 Posts
My wife just brought me my first one , amd already to get another later model . Get them while you can . It will be a sad day for the hard tops if they finish. I converted over from Jaguar to the slk,s .Had 4 Jags in Aus , I think my new baby leaves then for dead.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK 55 AMG
592 Posts
Soft tops are rubbish. I bought the SLK purely for the retractable hardtop!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.