Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Press Release - - - Sydney - Australia
In a move that has local Mercedes-Benz owners up in arms,Mercedes-Benz (Australia) has secretly been making an unauthorised, andunapproved, modification to owner’s vehicles. The modification is made when thevehicle is booked in for normal servicing.
Involving the changing over of the rain sensors, if fitted,a small software modification to the daylight sensor and the fitting of a smallsensor, looking much like an o-ring, to the base of the radio antenna. Small,innocuous and largely unnoticed, these modifications have been made to everyvehicle serviced over the past twelve months.
The move is designed to protect the re-sale value ofMercedes-Benz vehicles by ensuring that they are regularly washed and polished.The sensors detect the presence, and quantity, of water over the vehicle. Theantenna sensor also determines the acidity of the water, to determine if anyform of detergent is present, to differentiate between washing and rain.
The sensors will detect when a vehicle is being washed andsend the data, using M-B proprietary software, which utilises the GPS system totransmit the data, to Mercedes-Benz (Australia) head office. Owners whosevehicles are deemed to be washed too infrequently will now risk havingMercedes-Benz repossess the vehicle.
State and Federal Attorneys General claim they are powerless to stop the practiceas Clause 4.1.(f) of the sales agreement (signed by all purchasers at the timeof sale) clearly gives Mercedes-Benz (Australia) the right to make suchmodifications, and to impose “any other such condition, or conditions, as maybe deemed appropriate, from time to time”, upon both the initial purchaser andany subsequent purchaser.
The Managing Director of Mercedes-Benz (Australia), HerrRudolph Aprilscherz, in defending the company stated that “We are sick andtired of seeing the re-sale value of these vehicles dragged down to the levelof a BMW by lazy owners. These are quality vehicles, made to a standard, andshould be treated as such. There are those out there who, quite simply, do notdeserve to own a Mercedes-Benz, and we intend to find them”.
End Release.
I am just guessing here, but I think once it has been firmlyestablished in Australia, there will, no doubt, be a global roll out of thesystem. So, there you have it. Keep your Mercedes clean or risk having itrepossessed, and having to suffer the ignominy of driving a BMW, or worse.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Hmmm, I'm tempted to remind everyone it is April 1. But then it is traditional to post these before noon, is it not?

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
I'm guessing the OP was targeting Europe and the USA, even though it would have been after midday (local time) when he posted it. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts