Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've recently bought my first SLK...a 2002 R170 facelift. I love the car. It puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it so thought I'd join here in order to converse with those of a similar mind.

I've got loads of questions to ask about these cars. I was disappointed not to get an owners handbook with it...why do people not sell the cars with everything in it? No spare key either!

·
Founding Member 2006
109,002 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Owners Manual: A Go-To Source for Information on your Vehicle | Mercedes-Benz

Download Your Car Maintenance Manual | Mercedes-Benz

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

I'm also near Leicester, actually at Leicester Forest East... Where around Leicester are you?

As has already been mentioned, we have quite a few meets around the East Midlands. If you're interested in meeting up with other members, please keep an eye on the UK Region section as we post our plans to meet there (you'll also see a summary UK 2016 Meet Calendar thread there too). :tu:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

I'm also near Leicester, actually at Leicester Forest East... Where around Leicester are you?

As has already been mentioned, we have quite a few meets around the East Midlands. If you're interested in meeting up with other members, please keep an eye on the UK Region section as we post our plans to meet there (you'll also see a summary UK 2016 Meet Calendar thread there too). :tu:
Hi...I'm not that far from you. You're LFE...I'm in Ratby, LE6.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcomes guys.

One of the things I've been searching for...and the search button doesn't really help with...is luggage for the 170. I'd quite like a couple of cases that would fit when the roof is down.

Can you encoach into the space where the roof folds. Can you make the vinyl cover bulge wthout it interfering with the "roof space?"

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Hi...I'm not that far from you. You're LFE...I'm in Ratby, LE6.
Ratby!... That's very close to me! Give me a shout (or PM) if you have any questions, or want to drive over to any SLK meets together! :tu:

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

One of the things I've been searching for...and the search button doesn't really help with...is luggage for the 170. I'd quite like a couple of cases that would fit when the roof is down.

Can you encoach into the space where the roof folds. Can you make the vinyl cover bulge wthout it interfering with the "roof space?"
I wouldn't make the vinyl cover bulge at all, otherwise it might cause issues as the roof tries to fold into the boot. There is some R170-specific luggage available that fits perfectly in the boot, but at a cost!... I just did a Google for "R170 luggage" and the following is one of the links it returned:
https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/tuning-styling-mercedes-benz-slk-class-r170-schaetz-case-bag-set.htm

I'm sure it's available elsewhere too, so worth shopping around to try to get it at the best price possible, if you want it...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ratby!... That's very close to me! Give me a shout (or PM) if you have any questions, or want to drive over to any SLK meets together! :tu:

I wouldn't make the vinyl cover bulge at all, otherwise it might cause issues as the roof tries to fold into the boot. There is some R170-specific luggage available that fits perfectly in the boot, but at a cost!... I just did a Google for "R170 luggage" and the following is one of the links it returned:
https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/tuning-styling-mercedes-benz-slk-class-r170-schaetz-case-bag-set.htm

I'm sure it's available elsewhere too, so worth shopping around to try to get it at the best price possible, if you want it...
I'll message you once I get the required number of posts. It'll be good to talk.

I have come across that luggage. It looks to be beautifully crafted but the cost is a tad high end. I spent a couple of hours this morning looking at luggage that will fit the space on the bay of E. There are plenty of carry on bags that will fit in but not really the size to optimize the trunk.

·
Founding Member 2006
109,002 Posts
you can get the required number of post...you have 4....you need 15...by doing what we did to you

go welcome 11 more new members

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll just post up a brief description of my car.

It's a dark metallic blue...not sure of the paint name or shade..but it looks fantastic
It has the usual MB tin worm issues around the arches. This is something I want to sort out real soon.
The leather needs a good clean and a rejuvenator applied to bring it back to life.
The interior lights flicker when messing with the heater controls so need to take the consol apart to get to those wires. Not sure how to do that yet.
I've already changed the two rear tyres for a better quality brand.
The car drifts to the left so need the wheel alignment sorted.

Not bad for car that's 14 years old.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.