Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi. I;m Al (aaaaaal). Have had my 2007 SLK 350 for 18 months. I retired last year, so this is my 'last' as well as 'best' car.

Got my front bumper (plastic part) ripped by a protruding bolt on a parking lot concrete bumper. Dealer wants $1,750 for a new one. I am going after my dialysis center (have to park there 3 times a week) for the defective concrete bumpter (metal protruding bolt more than 1/2 inch from the concrete bumper).
Does anyone know of a reputable repair place in LA/Long Beach/Orange County area that can do it cheaper than the dealer? I have seen replacement parts online for about $500. Do they work?

Has anyone else dealt with the infamous parking lot bumper bolts?

Thanks.

Al Glover

Hi. First post, don't know all the rules, but I'll try to stay within the bounds of common sense and courtesy.

My 2007 SLK 350 is my 'last' car. I bought it a couple of years ago, and I retired last year (2014). Now, I 'commute' to the dialysis center 3 times a week, and otherwise just drive for pleasure. My favorite NFL team is the 4e9rs, and my SLK's colors (red exterior, tan interior) match my team's colors. Doesn't get much better than that for a 49er fan.

Of course, I am in a dispute with my dialysis provider, as the parking lot has those concrete bumpers (and this particular one has a bolt protruding over half an inch above the concrete bumper). The dealer says I need a new bumper, wants $1,750 for it. Anyone with info on how to find a reliable repair shop in SoCal?

aaaaaal (my license plate - it's another way of saying 'big Al.'

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,905 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

owner's and maintenance manuals great R171 info:

later year owner's/maintenance/comand manuals, top right in the link below:
Bill's Den: Documents

Lube those seals:
http://www.slkworld.com/226839-post1.html

your brochure:
Mercedes Brochure Archive

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

clear or tinted side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/50849-ive-taken-cf-plunge.html
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
105,905 Posts
oh we have all encountered it. I encountered mine on my 1st day!

·
Banned
804 Posts
Any body shop can repair it. It is a simple fiberglass patch repair. The only problem is will they have to take it off the car? Some will do it on. Anyway, removed figure around $500! BTW, the OEM chin spoiler is over a grand! You might check if there is an aftermarket replacement.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
13,904 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

Always back into those parking spots that have those concrete stoppers, this will protect your front bumper by doing it this way. Yes we have all probably hit a few of those! Some may not admit it. The SoCal SLK group taught me about this type of parking.

Reactions: McSLK and aaaaaal

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,141 Posts
Hi Al, welcome from the North of Scotland. :smile:

Reactions: aaaaaal

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Welcome from Washington, DC. I'm sorry to hear about your bumper. Bummer.

·
105,905 Posts
Al, use the 'quote' button at the bottom of any post you want to reply to so we know who you are replying to :D

·
105,905 Posts
edit your 1st post if you want where i combined them

did you get your datacard i posted 4 u?

·
Premium Member 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,234 Posts
Welcome from central Florida!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.