Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I noted in other threads, I traded my 2004-SL-class for a 2012 SLK350 yesterday.

So far I have found 2 MAJOR problems :wink::

When you put the top up, the rear windows dont close!! (Manual says use the switch inside of the Vario-Roof switch. Now it works fine)

The CD changer wont accept CD/DVDs!! Should I try jamming a screwdriver to see if there is anything stuck in there?? ((Manual says select which CD/DVD slot you want to use and then insert media. Now it works fine)

Does anyone have any other potential blunders to share with the FNG?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,161 Posts
reboot your car and the cd/dvd hopefully will work

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
The only way I could make the side rear windows stay up when the top was down is put in the SmartTop Kit. Not sure about your CD/DVD player, but maybe a reboot will help that one. I am sure you tried this, but did try the Eject Button to see if a disk was already in the slot?

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only way I could make the side rear windows stay up when the top was down is put in the SmartTop Kit. Not sure about your CD/DVD player, but maybe a reboot will help that one. I am sure you tried this, but did try the Eject Button to see if a disk was already in the slot?
I edited my comments for clarity. Thanks for the replies, Steve and Jeff, but this is entirely in the realm of newbie-itis... UE (User Error) or call it what you will!

Reactions: jbanks15

·
103,161 Posts
So everything is working ok now? sounds like

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Two things that annoyed me were the USB port won't work with iPods unless you have the extra media kit and flash drives plugged into the USB port MUST be formatted as FAT32 or they're not recognised. Most flash drives over 32Gb come formatted as exFAT so they don't work and many USB hard drives/backup drives come as NTFS so they don't work either.

Microsoft don't allow you to select FAT32 as a format option under Windows for any hard drives over 32Gb anymore, it defaults to exFAT and the only other option is NTFS.

I use FAT32Format to format drives over 32Gb and it works just fine.

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not formatting the USB stick to FAT32 would have been my next blunder. Good thing I still have an old XP box lying around.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
235 Posts
Not formatting the USB stick to FAT32 would have been my next blunder.!
I use a 128 GB USB Stick and it does work in my 2013 model. It has over 18,000 songs on it (it contains over1600 folders and + 20,000 music files and it uses about 104 GB of the 128 on the stick). Before using I had to 'format' it on my Win 7 machine and then copied the files from the machine to the stick. I just did this over the last weekend. I must say that I had a bit of trouble getting COMAND to load all of the files the first time (and it took about 30 minutes to get them all loaded), but it now seems to be working AOK.

Attachments

·
Banned
804 Posts
My '10 SLK only has aux-in. I wish it had USB. My BMW has USB, and I put 10 CDs on my 8 GB Flash Drive. Now I can listen to my favorites tunes.

The SLK has a CD changer, so I can stick 6 CDs in it. That's OK, but after my experience with the BMW, I won't be buying anymore cars with CD changers. Another thing is the radio in the BMW is as simple as opening a door while the Mercedes resembles launching the space shuttle.

·
103,161 Posts
i put 6 dvds in mine. more music.

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Microsoft don't allow you to select FAT32 as a format option under Windows for any hard drives over 32Gb anymore, it defaults to exFAT and the only other option is NTFS.
I ordered a PNY 128GB USB stick from Tiger Direct and it came formatted as FAT32. I was happily surprised.

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am in the process of dumping 118 GB onto a 128 GB stick (and that still is 32 GB short of my collection!). It will be a few hours and thanks for the heads-up on the read rate.
Thats one thing about being not young: You collect a lot of music in a number of genres.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
2001 SLK320
944 Posts
Is there not a cable that accepts a USB?
I either okay my music via BT off my phone or put the cable depending on what I want to do as far as listening is concerned.
I load DVD in. We use a ferry and wait times are involved so it's a good way to pass the time watching DVDs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
When you put the top up, the rear windows dont close!! (Manual says use the switch inside of the Vario-Roof switch. Now it works fine)

The CD changer wont accept CD/DVDs!! Should I try jamming a screwdriver to see if there is anything stuck in there?? ((Manual says select which CD/DVD slot you want to use and then insert media. Now it works fine)

Chris
Heh.

Now, my rear windows don't go up by themselves when I close the roof, I have to use the "all windows" switch to bring them up. I put this down to a bug in the Smart Top which I've been meaning to get around to talking to them about. If I close the roof with the fob all four windows go up as expected. I don't suppose yours has a Smart Top fitted that you don't know about? To find out, see if you can get into it via the menus. (See below).

Yes - getting the hang of how the CD loader works took a couple of goes. Not totally obvious, so you need to read the book! Real men don't read the book. :) Actually, as we have a 64Gb memory stuck with ALL our music on it, we only put a CD in just to prove it worked.

Here's the instructions on how to get into the SmartTop menus. If you HAVE one, you should be able to get past the first couple of steps. If you don't, you won't. :) " To enter programming mode, first close all doors and then turn the ignition to ACC (position 1): Insert the key into the ignition lock and turn it to accessory position or tap the Start Engine button once without depressing the brake pedal. To access the clear text setup make sure the radio/command unit is turned OFF, then select the AUDIO screen using the steering wheel MENU buttons on the left (screen shows AUDIO OFF). Then press and hold the phone hang-up button (1) and let go when you hear the chime and see the smartTOP info on the screen.
Alternatively, to activate clear-text and blinker output, press and hold the phone hang-up button for about 4 seconds, until the left arrow blinks once to indicate function 1, then let go.
From this point on you can navigate through the options by either tapping the UP (next function) and DOWN (previous function) buttons or the phone pickup (next function) and phone hang-up (previous function) buttons. Once the arrows are finished indicating the function and setting (if blinkers are active), change the setting by tapping PLUS or MINUS. The new settings are active immediately.
To end programming mode, press phone hang-up again, remove the key from the ignition lock or turn the ignition on. End of programming mode is indicated by both arrows lighting up simultaneously. "

·
Registered
279 Posts
My '10 SLK only has aux-in. I wish it had USB. My BMW has USB, and I put 10 CDs on my 8 GB Flash Drive. Now I can listen to my favorites tunes.

The SLK has a CD changer, so I can stick 6 CDs in it. That's OK, but after my experience with the BMW, I won't be buying anymore cars with CD changers. Another thing is the radio in the BMW is as simple as opening a door while the Mercedes resembles launching the space shuttle.
It has taken car manufacturers *years* to catch up with technology such as DAB, Bluetooth (media), and a proper range of inputs (Aux, USB, SD, etc). Our '14 SLK has everything, and my new Discovery Sport does too - the DS is even smart enough to link to TWO devices via BLuetooth if you want to - one as a phone and a separate one for media. I was disappointed that the car I'm just selling (2007 Astra, top of range model!) didn't have bt media nor any form of solid-state input, not even an "aux" input port. :( Nor did it have DAB. These were all *well* established technology by the time the car was being designed and built. EndOfRant.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Is there not a cable that accepts a USB?
I either okay my music via BT off my phone or put the cable depending on what I want to do as far as listening is concerned.
I load DVD in. We use a ferry and wait times are involved so it's a good way to pass the time watching DVDs.
Audio Books! We use Audible, and run the books on a phone (bluetooth media to the car). Makes ferry queues, long motorway runs, etc., much faster!

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Audio Books! We use Audible, and run the books on a phone (bluetooth media to the car). Makes ferry queues, long motorway runs, etc., much faster!
I'm a huge consumer of Audible books. I spend up to 40 hours per week in the car so I have plenty of time to listen to these. Some days though, I just find myself arriving at my destination having listened to a few chapters and I have no recollection of the drive there at all! Very scary!

·
Banned
804 Posts
It has taken car manufacturers *years* to catch up with technology such as DAB, Bluetooth (media), and a proper range of inputs (Aux, USB, SD, etc). Our '14 SLK has everything, and my new Discovery Sport does too - the DS is even smart enough to link to TWO devices via BLuetooth if you want to - one as a phone and a separate one for media. I was disappointed that the car I'm just selling (2007 Astra, top of range model!) didn't have bt media nor any form of solid-state input, not even an "aux" input port. :( Nor did it have DAB. These were all *well* established technology by the time the car was being designed and built. EndOfRant.
Electronics beyond a battery and bell, are outside my interest or understanding. I try to buy cars that have a minimum of gizmos. I see cars as machines where I should have my nose and eyes focused on the road not fiddling with knobs and buttons.

However the radio in the BMW is a really well designed unit. The manual that comes with it is only a couple of pages, and the operation is simple. I can leave the flash drive in the USB port and select USB on the menu and then easily select any song, album, or set it to play everything and forget it.

I don't own a cell phone. I don't have any friends beyond my cat, so I don't need one. Did you know that for $15/month I have Internet, phone, and TV? Bah hum bug on modern technology and social media.>:D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Electronics beyond a battery and bell, are outside my interest or understanding. I try to buy cars that have a minimum of gizmos. I see cars as machines where I should have my nose and eyes focused on the road not fiddling with knobs and buttons.

However the radio in the BMW is a really well designed unit. The manual that comes with it is only a couple of pages, and the operation is simple. I can leave the flash drive in the USB port and select USB on the menu and then easily select any song, album, or set it to play everything and forget it.

I don't own a cell phone. I don't have any friends beyond my cat, so I don't need one. Did you know that for $15/month I have Internet, phone, and TV? Bah hum bug on modern technology and social media.>:D
Yeah - I know what you mean but part of the job of a car designer is to make the toys simple enough to use withOUT taking your head away from where it should be for more than a second or two. Of course, they can't make a radio *totally* intuitive, but you soon learn the way around the bits you want. Mostly for me that means one of the pre-sets 1-9 for my radio stations (actually, usually just one of three) or the button to press to make it play either "shuffle play" from the USB stick in the caddy, or whatever is coming from my phone by bluetooth. The latter is usually a talking book, and you don't need to tinker with the phone either, the car radio can "pause/play" the book (or music) frmo the phone as may be necessary. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
>Yes - getting the hang of how the CD loader works took a couple of goes.

My 2015 250 with COMAND has only 1 CD/DVD slot, unless I am missing something very obvious. I spent a little time trying to figure out if there was a multiple CD loader actually built in, and gave up. Not a loss really, between 128GB on a USB stick and 64GB on a memory card I am set for the next few years. Will probably not even renew my Sirius subscription when it expires after the trial because I never end up listening to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.