Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm a new member, having just bought my first MB, and taking delivery of it tomorrow, 29 Feb.

My new car is an SLK 250 diesel auto, with 20K on the clock, 2 years old.Bought from an MB main dealer near where I live (Northants).

My current insurer is OK but I wondered of there was a better insurance co out there and thought I'd ask for your experiences of who is good, and who isn't?

Any information welcome.

Thanks

:nerd:

·
Registered 2013 SLK250 CDI
361 Posts
I've just insured mine yesterday with MB.

Seems comprehensive cover with euro breakdown, key cover with more extras that are usually charged with other companies.

Welcome from Warwickshire :tu:

Good choice of SLK

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

As for your insurance question: As has already been said, you only really find out how good an insurance company is when you need to claim for something. I'm sure some others will be along shortly to post and share their experiences...

Thank you
Dave

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,331 Posts
Like Dave said!

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Welcome from the Midlands

I have just changed to Quotemehappy, Fully Comp' £240 (55 2007 35000 miles)
I have breakdown cover with my Bank account so do not need that with my insurance.
Also if the car is Serviced by MB, I believe you may be covered in some way?
Check it out.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,098 Posts
Welcome from the Wirral.

Insurers have quotas to meet. So last years favourite for 40 year old and no convictions may well not be this years best quote.
Staying with the same insurer year after year is not always the best practise either.

Try the supermarket websites for a start. Martin Lewis's site is a good place to begin.
That gets you a good target figure.
Then ring around companies not listed on those sites eg direct line.
Finally ring your own insurer and see if you can get a better price than your first quote.

Just make sure that you compare like for like (courtesy car if you want it, contents, EU cover and so on).

I'd gone same Co for years, bought a new car and got a much higher quote.
Going through the above I saved nearly £300 ON THE ORIGINAL CAR!!
04 Mondeo 2.0 ghia estate to 08 3.5 V6 Murano.

Also check if your employer, or professional body has deals with insurers.
Not always cheapest, but sometime quite close and trustworthy.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I dislike insurance companies. They are a necessary evil at best. Two salutatory tales...

My SLK and Golf are insured on a multi-car policy. This year's renewal came in at about £100 more than the previous year. I phoned them up and said “how come the premium has increased? I've had no accidents, no convictions, haven't changed circumstances and the cars have gotten older (and are hence less valuable) “. Their response was, “oh, it looks like we applied some discounts to last year's policy which was why it was cheaper”. I told them, “OK, apply the same discounts to this year's and we'll all be happy”. They did.

My road Porsche 944 “classic” insurance jumped by £300 at renewal – to £460. I called a few brokers and got a quote for equivalent cover for £180 (agreed value, protected bonus, 10,000 miles etc). I called my original broker to tell them not to renew. “Did you get a cheaper quote?” they asked. “Yes, £180, oddly with the same underwriter you use.” They asked me to hold whilst they cancelled my direct debit instruction, then came back on the line and said “We could do it for £172?” My answer ended in “off”.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Protected No Claims??????
What's that all about????
If you make a Claim you have made a Claim and they will increase your Premium next year. They will still offer you (N Years) No Claims but the Premium will increase to make it worthless.
Ask them what it really means if you make a Claim. Will my Premium rise next year? I bet they will answer with, 'we can't really say it will or it will not'
You all know the good old English word for Rubbish, and it ends in ks.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,056 Posts
Sadly ins company's are one of the biggest rips off going .
And all set to go up this year due to higher hikes from the govt sadly .
Higher percentage rate req by them .

Well commecial it is . :frown:

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Guys and thanks for the warm welcome. I have now updated my location (Northants, as it happens) - and Yes please, I would appreciate you moving my post to the right section. Honest mistake made by a newbie.

As I said in my first post, I'm taking delivery tomorrow (29th), so will let you know how I get on. As you might imagine, I am more than a little excited (tbh, I thought I was too old to be this excited!)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,331 Posts
Hi Guys and thanks for the warm welcome. I have now updated my location (Northants, as it happens) - and Yes please, I would appreciate you moving my post to the right section. Honest mistake made by a newbie.

As I said in my first post, I'm taking delivery tomorrow (29th), so will let you know how I get on. As you might imagine, I am more than a little excited (tbh, I thought I was too old to be this excited!)
Thanks for updating
Thread moved to new member intro section

post your vin to get your datacard

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts

Thanks for updating, and it's great to hear how excited you are to get your SLK... you're going to love it! :D

If you want to meet up with other members sometime, just keep an eye on the UK Region section, as we post any plans to meet there. :tu:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I have just changed to Quotemehappy, Fully Comp' £240 (55 2007 35000 miles)
I have breakdown cover with my Bank account so do not need that with my insurance.
Also if the car is Serviced by MB, I believe you may be covered in some way?
Check it out.
Yes if your car has a MB service history and you continue to have it serviced by MB you get free European breakdown cover. I do on mine. I am lucky that my local dealer will give me a deal on their prices, not all dealers are the same. Worth checking with yours.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts