Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had all four tyres replaced with Hankook Ventus prime 2 the difference in the car is amazing. The car is quieter smoother and feels so much better on the road the jittery ride has disappeared it feels tight and composed now. I really did not think changing from the Pirelli P7's to the Hankook's would make such a difference but it has totally changed the car for the better.

Dave :rb

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
It's AMAZING to see the difference in new tires right? I feel the same way. It makes owning the vehicle so much more fun :D

edited to add: I purchased conti dsw's.. my next set will be yokohamas.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,471 Posts
I have still the original Conti's on the front, just put Conti DW's on the rear. Fair handling but I'm coming from a Honda S 2000!

·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its amazing how bad the Pirelli P7's were being a so called premium tyre ok they were getting near to there wear limit (actually the fronts still had plenty left) but they were so noisey and skittish ill never buy them again.
Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
be advised that a;; tyres have a 1/32 inch layer of krazyglutonium on the outer layer, so you say 'wow what great tyres" no matter what the brand, . and then forget all about them, except remember how much better they were than the last set. for about 250 miles.

·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What the hell is krasyglutonium never heard of the stuff. Be interesting to see if the tyres do change after 250 miles perhaps dolau can let us know how he gets on with his barums. Anyone else have a opinion on this.
Dave

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I have done about 3k on the front and 2k on the back and they are fine in all conditions much more confidence than the cheapies that were on the rims when I got the car

Just realised I have done nearly 6k miles since July when my company car went back

·
Registered
68 Posts
What the hell is krasyglutonium never heard of the stuff. Be interesting to see if the tyres do change after 250 miles perhaps dolau can let us know how he gets on with his barums. Anyone else have a opinion on this.
Dave
that's because there's no such thing as ""krasyglutonium". It's "krazyglutonium. " Patented by the physicists and chemists and marketing people from "As seen on TV." I would need someone to sponsor the testing, with 2 sets of top of the line tires for my car, and a g force and lateralmeter.

·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok Wolf I spelt it wrong but weird ive done a search on google and yahoo and the only thing at all that comes up for Krazyglutonuim is this thread nothing else at all. That has to be the shortest list ive ever had when searching for anything.

Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
@Naffdave - Regardless of any special coating, you have an extra 1/4" of rubber between you and the ground. That rubber will heat up more quickly and grip more quickly. It will also absorb a heck of a lot more vibration and road noise than the old knackered tyres did. New tyres nearly always have this effect.

Besides, the Pirelli P7 are actually a great tyre.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/CINTURATO-P7.htm

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I've had P7 all round on our 200 since new. Not noisy, not skittish, good wear rate (got 30k miles out of the fronts and get about 12k-15k out of the rears), good grip, good wet performance. Wouldn't use anything else..

Funny how things work out ain't it.

·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know people have tyre preferences an favourites but have seen a lot of people slag of Pirelli. Oh yeah the wear rate on the P7's on my was amazing 35 thou and there was still legal tread on both front and rear. In fact the fronts probably had a years worth left in them but those tyres from when I bought the car were noisey and just did not feel right. The only thing I can think is that they were perished as I found the bill for them with car documents and they had been on the car three years when I bought it ?

Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok Wolf I spelt it wrong but weird ive done a search on google and yahoo and the only thing at all that comes up for Krazyglutonuim is this thread nothing else at all. That has to be the shortest list ive ever had when searching for anything.

Dave
It's a joke dave. it seems every tire, anybody puts on a car seems amazingly better than the tyre they just took off. which may actually be true due to newer, less oxidized, less ultraviolatized rubber.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
158 Posts
Naffdave - a new tire set is always going to feel better than the old set. Rubber vulcanizes and essential oils evaporate over time and heat cycles. That means it is getting hard and loosing its friction. You indicate 35k miles on the old set - perhaps 4 years old? The rubber industry recommends throwing away tires at 7 years regardles of tread for exactly those reasons.
I'm not saying your Hankooks aren't better than the P7s, just that to be fair you have to compare new to new

·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It's a joke dave. it seems every tire, anybody puts on a car seems amazingly better than the tyre they just took off. which may actually be true due to newer, less oxidized, less ultraviolatized rubber.
Ok wolf that's it now I want tyres with Krazyglutonuim or what ever its called and have them recoated every 250 miles Ha Ha

Dave

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,501 Posts
I've seen that myself, on my 230, I replaced my conti's with Cooper RS3-A's and they ride nice and quiet, and much more smooth. Not a high performance handling tire, but a good ride tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.