Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and the car so please excuse my ignorance but I have recently bought a 2013 SLK 250 CDI AMG sport and to be honest I have been struggling to hold the backend straight and have been wheel spinning a lot.

Upon closer inspection my rear tyres do not match the front two (Fronts are Pirelli, Rears are Nexen??)

I have been told that the rears are a cheap compound and that I should consider swapping them and that the front treads are low (but legal).

I bought the car from a main Mercedes garage (Mercedes of Bury St Edmunds) and so did not think to check for cheap tyres. Too late now (had the car since the end of Feb).

My question to you guys is simple: What is the best value set of 4 I could go for? Low noise, good grip and best stopping distance?

Ideally, I don't want to spend much over £500-600 for a set of 4 fitted (Unlikely I suppose?) .

Also, which is more important to change first? the fronts or the rears? (May have to stagger the change overs)

PS: I have never owned my own car before so I have never had to look into any of this before.

Thanks for your patience and replies Gents!

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
It should obviously read: *Tyres*
I fixed it for you, as we're both in the UK! :D

Once you've made 15 posts, you'll be able to edit and fix any future typos for yourself. :tu:

·
Banned
297 Posts
If you check on the 'interwebb' you'll find all the info you require - offhand £500 will get you four Michelin tyres (remember the fronts are 225 mm, the rears 245mm) from blackcircle

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC200
2,724 Posts
Hi, I have the same model as you and have just had Pirelli P zero's fitted to the two front wheels of mine, cost me £216 all in. I would think you could get four tyres for around the £500 mark. I also have the P Zero's on the rear, only get wheel spin if I really boot it from standstill, not had any problems with the rear end being twitchy.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
For what it's worth, I am using Continental Extreme's and I love them. They are quiet, grip well even when wet and seem to be lasting a long time. and they ride well. Try them, you'll like them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the replies Lad's! :tu:

Is it worth trying to see/feel the tyres in real life as opposed to just ordering over the internet?

Are there any little tips or tricks to look out for to work out if its a good rubber? Can you tell if it is a brand new tyre as opposed to one that's been sat on a shelf for a few years etc.??

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC200
2,724 Posts
Hi again, in answer to another of your points raised, If the rears have better tread on them than the fronts and you feel you can live with them I would change the fronts first.
Changing the fronts on mine which were pretty much on the limit gave a very positive improvement to the ride and handling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again, in answer to another of your points raised, If the rears have better tread on them than the fronts and you feel you can live with them I would change the fronts first.
Changing the fronts on mine which were pretty much on the limit gave a very positive improvement to the ride and handling.

Great!

Thanks for the advice Jules! Fronts first it is then :tu:

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Jack- I you look at a tire on the side you will see a cutout with the letters 'DOT'. The last 4 of those numbers in the oval are the week # and the year of manufacture. That way you can easily tell how old the tire is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.