Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sean***
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have not been a member long as I just got into SLK's this past summer. I started with a 350 and once I started looking into modifying it to get some more grunt from the 3.5 l engine I decided the cost of gaining another 100+ horses out of it was not worth it and sold the car then bought a AMG 55. So far love it and am surprised how much actually since prior to this I was into Porches and had a modified 3.6L 911 which was wild but not nice to drive regularly as I had modified the suspension too much thinking I would track the car but didn't, so I sold it too someone who was going too.
All I have done to date to the 55 is buy a chip (which I have not installed) and stuck a K+N filter in. Long term goal is to lower the car, add wheel spacers, Headers, Cams and Super Charge it. I want to start out with modifications to the ECU and suspension then likely add the headers. If anyone has done much modifications to a AMG 55 and has any suggestions or knows of good parts resources I would be grateful for any advise. Also if anyone is detuning their car to sell or tame it down again I would be interested in purchasing parts. Where I live the winter makes it undesirable to drive the car so I have 3 or so months before I put it back on the road and I am hoping to get a bit of fed back here before I start spending the wade.
I intend of going all out and making this car a keeper, its got a lot of potential I think but I am surprised how little there is available for SLK's. I think the SLK's are a great car and all that nonsense about them being a woman's car or a substitute for a SL makes me wonder if those saying such rubbish have ever taken a AMG 55 for a run.
Happy driving!

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Hi everyone, I have not been a member long as I just got into SLK's this past summer. I started with a 350 and once I started looking into modifying it to get some more grunt from the 3.5 l engine I decided the cost of gaining another 100+ horses out of it was not worth it and sold the car then bought a AMG 55. So far love it and am surprised how much actually since prior to this I was into Porches and had a modified 3.6L 911 which was wild but not nice to drive regularly as I had modified the suspension too much thinking I would track the car but didn't, so I sold it too someone who was going too.
All I have done to date to the 55 is buy a chip (which I have not installed) and stuck a K+N filter in. Long term goal is to lower the car, add wheel spacers, Headers, Cams and Super Charge it. I want to start out with modifications to the ECU and suspension then likely add the headers. If anyone has done much modifications to a AMG 55 and has any suggestions or knows of good parts resources I would be grateful for any advise. Also if anyone is detuning their car to sell or tame it down again I would be interested in purchasing parts. Where I live the winter makes it undesirable to drive the car so I have 3 or so months before I put it back on the road and I am hoping to get a bit of fed back here before I start spending the wade.
I intend of going all out and making this car a keeper, its got a lot of potential I think but I am surprised how little there is available for SLK's. I think the SLK's are a great car and all that nonsense about them being a woman's car or a substitute for a SL makes me wonder if those saying such rubbish have ever taken a AMG 55 for a run.
Happy driving!
Grats-need some pictures. :biglaugh: You can't go wrong with Kleemann for the ECU, headers, and supercharger. As for suspension, it depends on how much you want to spend and what your expectations are.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
Sean,

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message)- capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under quick links when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you,
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Sean***
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you know where you're going with the 55.

What part of Canada - pm or email if you're shy.
JJ
I am in Saskatoon Sask most of the time. Spend art of the year in Asia.
I have been researching a lot of sites and Kleeman does seem to have a lot of the stuff I am looking for but definitely will be keeping the car for many years if I buy all the bits I would like. Adds up fast. Will add some images once the weather turns, or may shoot some studio shoots of it while it is parked in my studio for the winter, nice and warm in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts