Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New to the breed - but hooked!

995 views 24 replies 24 participants last post by  Livefreeordie 
#1 ·
Hi All,

New to this type of gig, so please bear with.

Bought a secondhand 2006, SLK 280, which has been a bit of a pain as I think I bought a lemon.

My SLK is fully loaded, can't think of any options it doesn't have, but that just gives me more things to go wrong.

Had a free Mercedes "Healthcheck" when purchased, which showed up gearbox gasket fault, throttle position sensor failure, roof seal shrinkage, buckled 18" AMG alloys. Since then the heater motor packed up due to the battery box drain being blocked and the ensuing water build up flooded the heater motor and the passenger compartment floor (strangely enough not picked up by Mercedes during "Free" check!). The roof clunks and generally moans during drives on less than racetrack tarmac, so I'm not convinced its 100% true, which would also account for it leaking, although Mercedes would like to relieve me of over £700 for a new seal and I think it could probably just need realigning?!

Apart from these "minor" issues, I love it. It isn't as easy as the previous BMWs I've had, it's not as quick or as sharp handling as my Boxster, but it has something about it I really get.

Guess I'll be needing you guys to assist with much of the above, as my funds these days as a public servant don't match those from my consultancy days!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

We have quite a few members in the UK that like to meet up from time to time. If you're interested in joining us sometime, just keep an eye on the UK Region section, as we post meeting plans there! :tu:

There's a summary post that I maintain for all UK meets here, and links to examples and pictures from this year's past meets are available here.

We've also just started plotting where our UK members are - check out the thread for that here: SLKWorld UK & Ireland Members and Meeting Points Map

Some great R171 info, including Owner’s/Maintenance/COMAND manuals, etc.:

Don’t forget to lube those seals:

Download your car’s brochure:

Mods you should think about doing to your SLK:
  • SmartTop: What is this SmartTOP all the members keep talking about?
  • Shorty antenna
  • LED license plate bulbs and parking lights
  • Chrome/stealth indicator bulbs (still flash orange, but removes the ‘fried egg’ look from your headlight housings)
  • OEM windscreen or Lighted/etched windscreen

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
  • Post your VIN (or VIN of a car you're looking at) in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on the car).
    FREE!! How to get a free data card!
  • If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
  • If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
  • Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If iPhone/iPad pics, you can only attach 1 pic per post this way as iOS names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
  • Want to 'like' or 'thank' someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any individual’s post that you like. This saves you having to comment.
  • New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link in the info bar towards the top of the screen is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
  • Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Dave

Reactions: F5ggy
#4 ·
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

#17 ·
Welcome from North Hampshire.

Sounds a good car if someone ticked all the option boxes, which can easy add up to 12k or more on the R171..!! Just needs some TLC...

As We like the country roads route from A to B, rather than Motorways, but even as a cyclists who is use to spotting pot holes, I've managed to buckle the inside of two of My 18" wheels.. :crying:

#20 ·
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.