Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car back to the tire shop today for front passenger tire replacement. I asked they inspect all four tires and rims and take the car out for a roadtest as part of the fix. They found both front rims are severely bent and cannot be balanced on their machine :mad:. Effectively, I need a new set of rims... may as well buy a new set rather than trying to unbend the bad ones...

Is it time for me to return to the 18"s rims or stay on 19"s? Gotta have to think this awhile as I begin search for a new set...

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,486 Posts
SO:

1)two tires and two (same style/mfg) rims

OR

2) 2 tires and 4 (new style 19") rims

OR

3)original 18's with original rubber-- or need 4 new tires?

About right? Do you like the 19's you had but leery now of their "quality"?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,036 Posts
mb put 18s on your oem for a reason :D

·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Len. The options as I see them are:

1- 1 new front tire, 2 refurbished rims, same 19"s, or
2- 1 new front tire, 4 new rims, same 19"s, or
3- 4 new tires, 4 new rims, all 18"s

Have to figure out which is the overall best path for me at this time. I love the 19s bcos they give the car the "look" I want... BUT, with the incessant pot holes here in New England, 19s may be a difficult option, hence thinking of reverting back to 18"s that came with the car.

The path of least resistance is Option 1
The most expensive path is Option 3

Decisions decisions...

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
829 Posts
Like you said... potholes are common where you live and are not friendly to the 19's...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
510 Posts
Presumably, you are using lower profile tyres on the 19s than you would on 18s so the tyres have less ability to take some of the shocks of a pothole than 18s with their higher profile would.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
I would have the current wheels fixed if they aren't too bad depending on their quality. Wheels are one thing I have learned not to skimp on. The cheap ones will either crack or bend easily. If they aren't high quality ones I would go back to 18".

·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have the current wheels fixed if they aren't too bad depending on their quality. Wheels are one thing I have learned not to skimp on. The cheap ones will either crack or bend easily. If they aren't high quality ones I would go back to 18".
Very good points. Thanks

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,186 Posts
Can’t remember the username, but a member has a set of tires and rims for sale. i think he is in Virginia. Good price for the rims and tires if they will work for you. It was within the last week.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,486 Posts
These?

Staggered set. Omo has a 350.

·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link (Len) and info (@Idiot101). At only $850 that got my interest, but have to overcome two issues - 1) its satin black (not a fan of black rims), and 2) low rear offset at +29 would give the car a weird stance as the rims will protrude too far outside the fender on a R172.

I found a nice set of 18" rims for $1000 + shipping and 4 Conti tires for ~$900, so roughly $2000 for switching back to 18s....

Decisions decisions...

·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OTOH, received a quote of $200/rim for repairing the bent rims, and fleabay list for a new Conti DWS06 235/35/19 tire is $200. For just about $600 I can get myself back on the road in the SLK... still running the 19"s.

Decisions decisions....

·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the second time on this thread I am going to quote @jet_fl's post... Why? Bcos today I followed the suggestion and got the bent rims repaired and a damaged front tire replaced. Ahhhh... what a difference the repaired rims made to the overall drive and feel of the car - like a brand new vehicle. Unbelievable.... no shakes, no vibrations at any speed... and I got it up to 100 mph and it was just smoooothhhh as butter.... :D:D:D

I am a very happy camper now. Love the "new" car even more now...

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
7 Posts
Thanks Len. The options as I see them are:

1- 1 new front tire, 2 refurbished rims, same 19"s, or
2- 1 new front tire, 4 new rims, same 19"s, or
3- 4 new tires, 4 new rims, all 18"s

Have to figure out which is the overall best path for me at this time. I love the 19s bcos they give the car the "look" I want... BUT, with the incessant pot holes here in New England, 19s may be a difficult option, hence thinking of reverting back to 18"s that came with the car.

The path of least resistance is Option 1
The most expensive path is Option 3

Decisions decisions...
this are 18" with H&R springs so the gap isnt visible anymore ,. if that helps .

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts